Health Happens in Libraries
Support for Libraries Responding to Health Information Needs
Health Happens in Libraries is a program to improve public library eHealth services and increase library staff capacity to respond to patron requests for information regarding the Affordable Care Act.
Libraries have a long history of meeting public demand for consumer health information. A recent IMLS study showed that an estimated 37 percent of library computer users (28 million people) use library computers and seek assistance from librarians for health and wellness issues, including learning about medical conditions, finding health care providers, and assessing health insurance options.
- Health Happens in Libraries acknowledges the growing intersection of digital technologies and individual health management (eHealth), and the opportunities for libraries to provide digital access to health information in their communities.
- Health Happens in Libraries connects library staff with the resources they need to develop a strategy for responding to patron requests regarding the Affordable Care Act in the way that makes the most sense for their communities.
- Opportunities to get involved, either through signing up for regular resource updates, or sharing your story and questions with program staff directly.
- Access to our latest project news, including profiles of libraries working to address local eHealth needs and announcements regarding new resource or partnership opportunities.
- Information on upcoming and archived webinars, where libraries and other community-based health and wellness representatives can share their knowledge and experience.
- A growing repository of eHealth and ACA resources, including examples of related content produced by state and public libraries nationwide.
Most Recently Added
News / Last Modified: 25 February 2014When I think of a medical library, I'm taken back to my undergraduate days studying medical history and ethics. Navigating the labyrinth-like halls of the health sciences building adjacent to the university hospital, I'd make my way to the library an...
News / Last Modified: 25 February 2014As we approach March and the final month of open enrollment for the Affordable Care Act (ACA) health insurance marketplaces, there are many excellent resources to help you, your patrons, and your partners remain informed about accessing new healthcar...
News / Last Modified: 04 February 2014The current enrollment period for individuals seeking health care coverage in the health insurance marketplace is still open! There are many resources to support organizations and individuals in obtaining the information they need about this componen...
Webinar / Last Modified: 03 February 2014
This webinar will explore strategies for libraries to identify ACA resources, hear from libraries that are working to prepare for patron requests, and obtain key policy and resource updates from ACA experts.
Webinar / Last Modified: 31 January 2014
This July 26 webinar provides information about plans to provide library staff with online resources to respond to increased patron information needs related to the Affordable Care Act.