Community-Led Planning for Equitable, Responsive Services
Learn about community-led planning strategies and how to apply them to create highly relevant, inclusive services for, and with, your community.
This event has passed.
You want to serve your community equitably and well, but you have endless possibilities and finite resources. How do you know which direction to go? Community-led planning is a strategy that invites community participation in service design and implementation by sharing power. Whether you’re creating a system-wide strategic plan, a single program, or anything in between, using community-led planning techniques can set you up for outstanding success. Discover the results of new research into how libraries can become more equitably community led. Then learn how to apply these concepts to create highly relevant, inclusive services for—and, more importantly, with—your community.
In this webinar, you will learn:
- What it means to be authentically community-led, and why this benefits your library and community
- How to apply evidence-based strategies to build your capacity for community-led planning
- Real-world examples of how libraries have used community-led planning for successful outcomes
Presented by: Dr. Audrey Barbakoff, EdD, MLIS, CEO of Co/Lab Capacity
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Co/Lab Capacity (subscribe to the newsletter!)
- Other WebJunction webinars with Dr Barbakoff
- Growing Digital Equity Through Community Partnerships
- Taking Community Partnerships to the Next Level
- Beyond Book Groups: Fun Library Programs for Adult Readers
- Additional resources on Community-led Libraries collected on WebJunction, including 2011 webinar, Putting the Public Back in Public Libraries: Community-Led Libraries
- Dr Barbakoff's dissertation: Building capacity for equity, diversity, and inclusion in public library programs through community-led practices: an innovation model
- Working Together Project: Community-led libraries toolkit
- Edmonton Public Library: EPL community-led toolkit
- IDEO: Design thinking for libraries
- Aspen Institute: Rising to the challenge: Re-envisioning public libraries
- University of Kansas: Community Tool Box
- ALA's Libraries Transforming Communities: Turning Outward
- Strategic Planning in a Deeply Weird World: The Flexible Roadmap Field Guide Approach, WebJunction webinar with the Salt Lake City Public Library on their approach to strategic planning that is flexible, staff-driven, and human-centered.
- Twelve Steps to a Community-Led Library by Audrey Barbakoff (forthcoming 2023)
- Ask, listen, empower: Grounding your library work in community engagement by Fournier & Ostman
- Developing Community-Led Public Libraries: Evidence from the UK and Canada by Pateman & Williment
- The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth by Amy Edmondson
- Changing the Way You Think to Fulfil Your Potential by Carol Dweck
Shared in chat
15 September 2022
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Audrey Barbakoff