Beyond Book Groups: Fun Library Programs for Adult Readers
This webinar will inspire you with new book-related programming ideas to engage adult readers in your community.
This event has passed.
Think outside the book group! Libraries are re-engaging with adult readers and sharing books with them in innovative new ways and in unconventional places. From pop-up programming on planes, trains and ferries, to Books on Tap, a literary sport over local brews, jump into the programming sandbox to explore creative ideas for reaching new adult audiences and delighting the bibliophiles in your own community.
Presented by: Audrey Barbakoff, Adult Services Manager, Kitsap Regional Library (WA), and 2013 Library Journal Mover & Shaker
- View Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Written recap of this webinar
- Program Ideas
- Audrey's website: www.the-bookaneer.com
- Books on Tap
- Ferry Tales
- Thrilling Tales - lunch hour storytime for adults (Seattle PL)
- The Moth
- Adult Programs in the Library, Second Edition by Brett W Lear
- Hosting a Library Mystery: A Programming Guide by Elizabeth M. Karle
- Book-to-Action Toolkit from the California State Library
- WebJunction's Programming section (documents, webinars, etc.)
- Further Reading
- “Transforming Our Image through Words that Work: Perception is Everything,” (pdf) by Valerie J. Gross. Public Libraries, PLA/ALA, Vol. 48, No. 5, September/October 2009, p. 24-32.
- Reality is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World by Jane McGonigal
- Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture by Shannon Hayes
- Additional Links Shared in Chat
- Serving Readers: Beyond the Basics - a webinar with David Wright and Andrea Gough
- Murder in the Stacks resources from Twin Falls Public Library https://tfpl.wordpress.com/cool-ideas/murder-in-the-stacks/
- Lean In guides at http://leanin.org/
- http://humanlibrary.org/ and for more on Human Libraries, How to Organize and Run a Successful Human Library (an Infopeople webinar in WebJunction Course Catalog - will be prompted to login) AND NCompass Live webinar, Connecting to your community through the Human Library program: The Pace University Library experience
27 May 2015
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
19 October 2022
27 October 2022
15 November 2022
07 December 2022