Doing the Work Externally and Internally: Race, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
This webinar highlights the work of Richland Library staff as they work, both externally and internally, to improve dialogue and understanding on topics of race, equity, diversity and inclusion.
How does a library respond to a community in deep crisis around race and social justice? That’s the question that Richland Library in Columbia, S.C., grappled with in 2017. Recognizing that there was no single answer, they launched initiatives on multiple internal and external fronts. Starting with a Social Awareness Taskforce, geared toward community engagement and courageous conversations, they explored topics surrounding social and criminal justice, women’s rights and race. By using innovative approaches like Circles of Dialogue and mobile empathy labs, nearly 1,500 people have participated in the library’s race, equity and inclusion programming. To further their efforts, they have also focused internally, empowering staff to lead the charge to understand their biases, macroaggressions, and cultural competence through Let’s Talk gatherings, Check Your Bubble worksheets, and other effective tools. Hearing how Richland Library moved the needle on honest dialogue, empathy, and equity with their staff and community, you will be inspired to dig in and do the work at your own library.
Presented by: Richland Library (SC) staff, including Tamara King, Community Relations Director and 2019 Library Journal Mover & Shaker; Ci Ci Holloway, Human Resources Director; and Dee Robinson, Director of Library Experience, Branches.
- View Webinar Recording (Coming Soon)
- View slides (pdf) (Coming Soon)
- View chat (xls) (Coming Soon)
- View captions (txt) (Coming Soon)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning. (Coming Soon)
- Richland Library
- Richland Library Social Awareness Taskforce, 2017 Urban Libraries Council Innovations, honorable mention
- Virtual Reality, Simulation Tools Help Midlands Exercise Empathy Muscle, South Carolina Public Radio, December 4, 2018
- Tamara King, 2019 Library Journal Mover & Shaker
05 December 2019
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
Webinar presenter Tamara King
Webinar presenter Ci Ci Holloway
Webinar presenter Dee Robinson