Building Connections with Community Assets
Explore strategies for connecting with community assets in-person and online as a step toward developing a more community-centered library.
The Aspen Institute’s influential report, Rising to the Challenge: Re-Envisioning Public Libraries, (2014) predicted that the most effective public libraries will be the ones with services that prioritize and support local community goals. The COVID-19 pandemic and ongoing racial reckoning around the country require even more flexibility and adaptability as community needs change and as libraries more intentionally deploy resources in the communities they serve. This webinar will provide an opportunity to contrast traditional community outreach with community engagement principles and discuss community asset mapping as a tool for engagement. Presenters will also share lessons learned about community networking in the context of COVID-19 and encourage participants to share their own experiences.
We hope you will join us for parts 2 and 3 of this series on community-centered libraries, which will be offered on July 8 and August 5. The series is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Lisa Jane Erwin, Department Head, Homebound and Central Services, Central Public Services Division, Free Library of Philadelphia
- Tierre Graves, Digital Resource Specialist, Lucien E. Blackwell Regional Library, Free Library of Philadelphia
- Lynn Williamson, Chief, Neighborhood Library Services Division, Free Library of Philadelphia
- View Webinar Recording (Coming Soon)
- View slides (pdf) (Coming Soon)
- View chat (xls) (Coming Soon)
- View captions (txt) (Coming Soon)
- Take and Turn - Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning. (Coming Soon)
- About the Community-Centered Libraries project
- Community-Centered Libraries blog series from Free Library of Philadelphia
- Aspen Institute 2014 report, Rising to the Challenge: Re-Envisioning Public Libraries
18 May 2021
03 June 2021
09 June 2021
08 July 2021
05 August 2021