How We Learn
In this book and website, molecular biologist Dr. John Medina summarizes 12 things scientists now know for sure about how our brains work. The applications to teaching and learning are significant.
Daniel Pink on Motivation
In his book Drive, Pink examines studies about what motivates people in the workplace and comes to some surprising conclusions. The three main motivators are autonomy, mastery, and purpose. See also his RSA lecture, The Surprising Truth about Motivating Others, and the RSA Animate version of the lecture.
- Supercharged Storytimes Facilitator Guide (pdf)
- General Facilitator Guide (pdf) for learning together on any topic
- 25 Tips for Successful Online Course Facilitation
Prepared by someone who has experience as an online facilitator and an online learner, this guide is designed to help you before, during and after an online teaching event.
- Skills for Online Trainers (doc)
What are the unique skills to look for in effective online trainers, for both the synchronous and asynchronous environments?
Supporting Online Learners
- E-Learning Tips is a checklist of ways to help learners prepare for the online experience.
- Motivating Online Learners (PDF) This slide deck has a lot of information in the notes field about designing for the intrinsic motivators --autonomy, mastery and purpose.
- Self-Directed Achievement
By giving her library staff one hour per week to pursue learning of their choice, director Jami Carter revolutionized the learning culture and motivation across her library. (webinar archive)
- Best Practices - Webconferencing Participants
Part of the "Webinar Success" information, this lists a number of ways that webinar participants can prepare themselves for a positive experience.