Revitalizing Library Volunteer Engagement
This webinar explores new trends in library volunteerism and presents practical steps to recruit skilled volunteers to help grow your community of library advocates and supporters.
This event has passed.
Library volunteerism is evolving. Gone are the days of looking for tasks to keep your volunteers busy. Libraries are now enlisting high impact volunteers who are bringing unique skills and expertise to enhance the library’s mission. Join us to learn how you can harness the power of skilled volunteers in your community and hear success stories of innovative volunteer engagement in libraries of all sizes and budgets.
Participants in this webinar will learn how to:
- Identify what motivates potential local and virtual volunteers and how to ensure the right fit
- Utilize skilled volunteers at the library
- Design volunteer job descriptions and targeted recruitment plans
- Earn staff buy-in and other strategies for successful volunteer engagement
Volunteers can be your strongest advocates, helping you gain funding and recruit human resources. This webinar will help libraries and library groups revitalize volunteer engagement and grow their community of advocates and supporters.
Presented by: Carla Lehn, principal consultant of the Lehn Group, former Library Programs Consultant of California State Library, and author of the new book, From Library Volunteer to Library Advocate: Tapping into the Power of Community Engagement.
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Carla's new book, From Library Volunteer to Library Advocate: Tapping into the Power of Community Engagement (Thank you to Libraries Unlimited for providing a 20% Off Coupon Code to webinar registrants!)
- 50 Project Ideas for Skilled Volunteers That Build Your Capacity, VolunteerPro
- Handouts created by Carla Lehn
- Bibliography: Library Volunteerism (doc)
- Blank Volunteer Job Description Form (doc)
- Volunteer Job Description: ESL Conversation Club Fascilitator (doc)
- Volunteer Job Description: ESL Conversation Club Program Coordinator (doc)
- Volunteer Job Description: Speaker’s Bureau Coordinator (doc)
- Volunteer Job Description: Public Speaker (doc)
- Targeted Recruitment Plan (doc)
- Gaining Staff Buy-In for Volunteer Engagement (doc)
- VolunteerMatch and One Volunteer Opportunity, Unparalleled Reach, blog post
- VolunteerMatch "Tour" with Carla Lehn
- Skilled Volunteer Recruitment Success Stories: Graphic Designer (2 min video)
- Skilled Volunteer Recruitment Success Stories: IT Volunteers (5 min video)
- Get Involved Clearinghouse
- New Directions for Library Volunteers
- Building communities from the inside out: a path toward finding and mobilizing a community's assets, by John P Kretzmann and John McKnight
- To Restore Civil Society, Start With the Library, NYT opinion piece by Eric Klinenberg, based on his book, Palaces for the people: how social infrastructure can help fight inequality, polarization, and the decline of civic life
18 September 2018
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Carla Lehn
08 April 2020
13 April 2020
29 April 2020