Mental Health First Aid and Trauma-Informed Approaches for Libraries
This webinar explores how the principles of trauma-informed care and Mental Health First Aid can equip staff with the knowledge and confidence to communicate with compassion.
This event has passed.
The mental health impacts of the pandemic are taking a toll on our communities, often compounding the physical and emotional effects of trauma experienced by many, including library patrons and staff. With increased understanding of mental health and trauma-informed care, library staff can be better prepared to provide unbiased service to those struggling to find help, information, and support. Join this webinar to learn how libraries can be better prepared to respond using the principles of trauma-informed care, and how Mental Health First Aid can equip staff with the knowledge and confidence to communicate with compassion, even in difficult situations. Learn ways to apply a trauma-informed approach to library services, internal and external policies and practices, and how to build connections with other community providers.
Presented by: Tiffany Russell, LMSW, Social Services Manager at the Niles District Library (MI), oversees the Social Workers in Rural and Small Libraries (SWIRSL) program, and part-time instructor for Western Michigan University’s School of Social Work; and Anne Chapman, MPH, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Mental Health First Aid, National Council for Behavioral Health
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Mental Health First Aid
- Social Workers in Rural and Small Libraries
- 2019 webinar, Community Health Challenges: Training, Language and Programming for Libraries
- 3 Realms of ACEs, from PACEs Connection. See also Trauma-Informed Guides, Presentations, & Self-Assessment Tools
- From CDC, overview of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
- WebJunction webinar, Social Work Students and Public Library Partnerships
- SAMHSA resources on trauma-informed care
- On Twitter, @FacesOfCOVID
13 April 2021
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Tiffany Russell
Webinar presenter Anne Chapman
15 June 2021
08 July 2021
22 July 2021
05 August 2021
17 August 2021