Let’s Talk Race: Community Healing through Conversation
Richland Library launched the open-source Let’s Talk Race Curriculum, providing a set of easy-to-follow resources for other organizations to implement locally to deepen community connections.
This event has passed.
Library communities around the country are seeing rising levels of division, distrust, and segregation. Recognizing the need for community healing, library staff at the Richland Library in South Carolina formed the Let’s Talk Race team to explore strategies for deepening community connections and engagement. Since 2016, the Let’s Talk Race team has facilitated more than 250 in-person or online discussions, community forums, and events, reaching more than 4,000 participants, and creating opportunities for civic engagement, community connections, and courageous conversations. Earlier this year, the Richland Library launched the open-source Let’s Talk Race Curriculum, providing a set of easy-to-follow resources for other libraries, museums, and related organizations to implement with their local communities. The curriculum includes facilitation best practices, conversation guides, videos, and more. The curriculum provides a learning pathway to help get started, build facilitation skills, and create conversation guides to hold your own circles of dialog.
Presented by: From Richland Library (SC), Tamara King, Chief Equity and Engagement Officer; Heather McCue, Children and Teen Services Manager; and Kathleen Montgomery, Associate Director, Community Engagement, Charleston County Public Library (SC)
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to sign in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Richland Library's Let’s Talk Race Curriculum
- Richland Library on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Doing the Work Externally and Internally: Race, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, WebJunction webinar, 2019
- Diverse Books for Families
- Book and Media Groups
- Dinner Table Talks
- Short video from Getting Started section of the Curriculum
- Shared in chat
- Salt Lake City Public Library Let's Talk Race Toolkits, for talking about race with kids
- Lane Libraries Conscious Child Book Kits
14 November 2023
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
Webinar presenter Tamara King
Webinar presenter Heather McCue
Webinar presenter Kathleen Montgomery
05 December 2023
13 December 2023
04 January 2024
30 January 2024
27 February 2024