"Let's Talk Race" Toolkits
Staff from the Salt Lake City Public Library share how they built picture book-based kits, offering practical and positive ways to talk to children about race.
Talking openly about race with kids can dramatically improve their racial literacy—but adults often don't know where to start! Staff from the Salt Lake City Public Library (SLCPL) will share how they built picture book-based kits to give caregivers the tools to have these important conversations. The session will also include discussion on book selection, the SLCPL framework for understanding racial literacy, and some of the joys and challenges that were faced during development and implementation. You'll receive a list of favorite race education resources, and a step-by-step plan for developing kits on your own.
Presented by Salt Lake City Public Library staff:
- Charlene Dy, Project Manager/Associate Librarian
- Lindsey Watts, Manager: Fiction, Periodicals, Teen
- Diana Castro, Equity and Organizational Development Associate
- Nancy Funes, Children's Librarian
- View Webinar Recording (Coming Soon)
- View slides (pdf) (Coming Soon)
- View chat (xls) (Coming Soon)
- View captions (txt) (Coming Soon)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning. (Coming Soon)