Resources for Supporting Veterans and Military-Affiliated Patrons
Libraries play a vital role in serving the diverse needs of their communities, and one group that often benefits greatly is our nation's Veterans, current military members, and their families. Chances are you’re already doing great work in welcoming this population, offering needed information and services, and helping them stay connected to their communities.
This collection of resources can help libraries enhance their support for our military-affiliated community members, ensuring that they receive the assistance and recognition they deserve. Explore topics including mental health resources, community engagement, employment and education information, and community reintegration after military service. Explore a selection of booklists and podcasts that offer display ideas and firsthand stories from those who have served.
- Libraries & Veterans National Forum Toolkit: This article offers an overview of the Toolkit, which was created by librarians, for librarians. Resources include success stories, ideas for library programming, and approaches to services for Veteran and military-affiliated patrons. And view the recording for the WebJunction webinar, exploring strategies highlighted in the Toolkit: Practical Strategies for Engaging Veteran and Military-Affiliated Patrons at Your Library.
- Mental Health and Suicide Prevention for Veterans, Service Members, and Their Families: Resources and information that can be used by library staff to promote mental health and well-being among Veterans, service members, military families, and their communities.
- A Spark of Inspiration Creates Community Engagement: This article features a program focused on creating engagement opportunities around new books and authors on different themes, including Veterans’ stories.
- Serving Those Who Have Served: Read advice from library staff with military service about how to serve Veterans in the library.
- Facilitating Library Support for Student Veterans: An overview of approaches for serving student Veterans and service people on campus, using the Libraries & Veterans Toolkit.
- Practical Strategies for Engaging Veteran and Military-Affiliated Patrons at Your Library: This webinar introduces practical and engaging library programming ideas for serving Veteran and military communities.
- Suicide Prevention for Veterans, Service Members, Families and Communities: Learn how libraries can help raise awareness of mental health and suicide prevention resources available to Veterans and their families with the Veterans Health Administration.
- Veterans and Mental Health: Understanding Common Struggles and Learning How to Provide Support: Learn how to help reduce stigma around Veteran mental health and become aware of the resources available to Veterans in their recovery.
- Borrowed Podcast: Stories of Service: This podcast episode features four stories of service, collected at Brooklyn Public Library for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- Call Number Podcast: Serving Our Veterans: ALA podcast about programming and services for military members
- New podcast from LSU Libraries highlights untold stories of Louisiana Veterans: Learn about a new limited-edition podcast series produced by LSU Libraries and the Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Veterans Health Administration Podcasts: A collection of podcasts for Veterans, VA employees, educators and health care professionals. Podcasts contain information on programs, services, tips, stories, and news from the VA on a range of topics including PTSD, smoking cessation, mental health, and leadership.
- National Veterans Memorial and Museum (NVMM) Reads: National Veterans Memorial and Museum reading list that supports their mission to honor, connect, inspire, and educate.
- Brooklyn Public Library Borrowed Podcast Booklist: Recommendations curated for BPL's podcast Borrowed, Episode 9, Season 5: "Stories of Service."
- Veterans Day Reading Recommendations: Indianapolis Public library Veterans Day reading lists for children and adults, plus more resources for readers in the military.
- Chicago Public Library Veterans Day: A staff-created list of book recommendations of fiction and non-fiction titles that depict the lives of soldiers.
Veterans Affairs Resources
- Veterans Crisis Line: 24/7, confidential crisis support for Veterans and their loved ones. For help, dial 988, then press 1.
- Legal Services for Veterans Programs: Veterans Affairs (VA) resources for Veterans experiencing or at risk for housing instability
- VA Solid Start: This VA program offers resources and support for service members within their first year of separation from the military.
- Veterans Affairs Mental Health Resources and Support: Featuring a variety of mental health resources, information, treatment options and more.
- Blue Star Families: Website started by military Spouses to strengthen military families, and recent blog post highlighting, Libraries — A Key Resource for Military Families on the Move
- Service to Veterans & Military Families: Connecticut State Library resources, including education, finance, health, housing and more.