Suicide Prevention for Veterans, Service Members, Families and Communities
This webinar will provide an overview of mental health information and services available to Veterans and members of military communities, and to address the risks and protective factors for suicidal behaviors.
Suicide is a national public health issue that impacts people from all walks of life, regardless of whether or not they have served in the military. However, the suicide rate among Veterans was 52% higher than non-Veteran adults in the U.S. in 2019, and Veteran suicides represent approximately 22% of all suicide deaths in the U.S. (2021 National Veteran Suicide Prevention Annual Report).
Libraries are well positioned to provide information and referral services to connect Veterans and members of military communities with Veterans Health Administration programs and initiatives that address risks and protective factors for suicidal behaviors.
Join us for this webinar with presenters from the Veterans Health Administration Office of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention, who will provide an introduction to military culture and share how libraries can help raise awareness of the resources available to Veterans, their families, and other members of military communities.
- Lillie Mells, Education & Training Program Coordinator, Office of Mental Health Suicide Prevention, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Shurhonda Love, Community Relations Specialist, Partnerships & Community Relations, Office of Mental Health Suicide Prevention, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- View Webinar Recording (Coming Soon)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls) (Coming Soon)
- View captions (txt) (Coming Soon)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Resource list: Mental Health and Suicide Prevention for Veterans, Service Members, and Their Families
- 2021 National Veteran Suicide Prevention Annual Report
- Mental Health Home (va.gov)
- Suicide Prevention - Mental Health (va.gov)
- The Dictionary of Military Terms, United States Department of Defense
- Rank Insignia of U.S. Armed Forces
- For more information about each of the branches:
- Air Force
- Marine Corps
- Coast Guard
- Space Force
- National Guard
- Veterans Crisis Line
- Local Resources search tool to find local resources and support systems to help
- VA Mobile Apps, National Center for PTSD
- Don't Wait. Reach out. (va.gov/Reach) (see Ad Council video for Veterans Crisis Prevention)
- Coaching Into Care 1-888-823-7458
- National Shooting Sports Foundation on Safety
- S.A.V.E. Training
12 August 2022
30 August 2022
15 September 2022
22 September 2022