The Community Connector: Referring Social Services at the Library
This webinar, co-hosted with TechSoup for Libraries, explores the library as connector to community social services, using a variety of referral tools and resources.
This event has passed.
Every day, patrons enter libraries around the country with questions about health, housing, employment, counseling and other essential human services. And libraries are there to make these crucial connections for them. Many libraries are now exploring ways to expand their role as connector to community social services through resources such as webpages, mobile apps, and databases. These services might refer somebody to a free meal, legal assistance, support groups, and much more. Join us to hear examples of how referral services and resources have augmented the social services connections that contribute to community vitality.
This webinar is hosted in collaboration with TechSoup for Libraries.
Moderated by: Crystal Schimpf, TechSoup for Libraries
- Suzanne Moore, Ashe County Librarian, Ashe County Public Library (NC)
- Diane Adams, Library Director, International Falls Public Library (MN)
- Jasmine Africawala, Community Engagement Administrator, Dallas Public Library (TX)
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Additional Responses from Presenters (doc)
- Read webinar recap
- A collection on WebJunction of resources on Libraries and Homelessness
- TechSoup for Libraries
- Ashe County Library
- Health Resources
- International Falls Library
- Range App: www.rangeapp.org by Caravan Studios
- Homelessness Report
- Dallas Public Library
- Downtown Dallas library starts opening doors to homeless people in new way - Dallas Morning News
- Libraries, Homelessness and Social Workers in the news:
- How Libraries Are Adapting To Help Homeless Find Jobs, Health Services - Huffington Post
- From nurses to social workers, see how public libraries are serving the homeless - PBS Newshour
- Edmonton Public Library Adds Homeless Outreach to Five New Branches - Library Journal
- A Little Extra Help – Why Public Libraries Need Social Workers - Public Libraries Online
- D.C. adds a social worker to library system to work with homeless patrons - Washington Post
- Public Libraries Add Social Workers and Social Programs - The New Social Worker
- Deschutes library intern seeks funding for social work program - The Bulletin
- Shared in Chat
21 April 2015
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
05 March 2020
29 April 2020