Civility Goes Viral: A New Approach for a New Era
This webinar presents Choose Civility, a community-wide initiative inviting respect, empathy, and consideration at every opportunity, and made available to libraries to implement locally.
This event has passed.
To "choose civility" means to celebrate diversity and choose respect, compassion, empathy, and inclusiveness when interacting with others. Civility is the healing power we need to counteract the divisive, fragmented forces that seem to be undermining our social fabric. Since 2006, Howard County Library System (MD) has been leading the way toward community connectedness with their Choose Civility initiative. They, along with library systems across the country, invite you to join the movement to nurture civility in your own community. Learn how kindness creates communities, how to challenge stereotypes effectively, and cultivate random acts of civility. Find opportunities to implement Choose Civility to enhance internal and external customer service, develop partnerships and community support, and create a more connected community of people who will #choose2Bkind. Let’s see civility go viral in 2017.
Presented by: Valerie Gross, President & CEO and Christie Lassen, Director of Public Relations, Howard County Library System (MD); and Sonya Durney, Adult Services Director, Portland Public Library (ME)
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Choose Civility: Howard County official website
- On Chapters and Affiliates
- Download Start a Chapter or Affiliate (pdf)
- Cool Cat Activity Booklet (pdf)
- Personalized Faces of Civility Poster Templates
- Civility Links
- Choose Civility on Facebook (See April Random Acts of Civility Calendar)
- About HiTails Ambassadors
- HCLS Strategic Plan, Vision 2020: Education for All
- Customer Service Philosophy
- Choosing civility : the twenty-five rules of considerate conduct by P.M. Forni
- Libraries = Education: Your Key to Success, 2/23/17 Demco webinar with Valerie Gross
- Choose Civility: Public Libraries Take Center Stage, Public Libraries, PLA/ALA, Vol. 50, No.4, July/August 2011, p. 30-37.
- Coming March 2018, Civility Goes Viral: Creating a Culture, Leading the Way, by Valerie J. Gross
- Transforming Our Image, Building Our Brand: The Education Advantage, by Valerie J. Gross
- See resources on Human Library programs
- About the Longest Table Project
- Portland Public Library's Choose Civility page: https://www.portlandlibrary.com/highlight/choose-civility/
- Maine State Library: Trusted Professionals Survey (2016)
- Pew Report: Libraries at the Crossroads (2015)
- Harwood in a Half an Hour getting started: http://www.theharwoodinstitute.org
- Libraries Transform / ALA: http://www.ala.org/transforminglibraries/libraries-transforming-communities/resources-for-library-professionals
- World Café Tooklit: http://www.theworldcafe.com/tools-store/
- National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation, Resource Center
- New Hampshire Listens: http://carsey.unh.edu/nhlistens
- Standing in the fire: leading high-heat meetings with calm, clarity, and courage by Larry Dressler
- Other Choose Civility initiatives:
- Mentioned during webinar as a resource for connecting with diverse communities, to encourage more participation in library events and programs, the Community Leader Interview Guide, from WebJunction's Spanish Language Outreach Project.
18 April 2017
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Valerie Gross
Webinar presenter Christie Lassen
Webinar presenter Sonja Durney