Is That Real? A Crash Course in Verifying Online Content
In this webinar with the News Literacy Project, learn about tools and skills needed to verify the authenticity of user-generated content, and explore ways to share this information with teen and adult patrons.
Dive into the tools and skills that you and your patrons need to verify the authenticity of user-generated content, and learn how to create engaging fact-checking investigations that will empower learners to detect and debunk misinformation online. News Literacy Project (NLP) covers topics such as developing keen observation skills that help detect images circulating in a false context; using reverse image searches to find the origins of a digital image; using webpage archivers to explore deleted or changed content; and using Google Street View to explore and confirm details of locations around the world. This webinar will help you boost your own skills and give you confidence to help patrons evaluate their sources, too. The session will also include a brief overview of NLP’s work with public libraries and strategies for adapting its resources for non-school settings.
Presented by: Peter Adams, Senior Vice President of Education, and Damaso Reyes, Director of Partnerships, at the News Literacy Project
- View Webinar Recording (Coming Soon)
- View slides (pdf) (Coming Soon)
- View chat (xls) (Coming Soon)
- View captions (txt) (Coming Soon)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning. (Coming Soon)
- News Literacy Project
- The Sift, weekly newsletter with relevant media news and recent examples of misinformation, and tips on engaging learners in news literacy.
- Civics Connections, blog sharing ideas, strategies and resources for integrating news literacy skills into civics-aligned curriculum to encourage greater civic engagement among students.
- Give Facts a Fighting Chance: A Global Playbook for Teaching News Literacy (pdf)
- Fake News: A Library Resource Round-Up, on Programming Librarian
22 May 2019
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Peter Adams
Webinar presenter Damaso Reyes
25 April 2019
22 May 2019
11 June 2019