Hooray for Freedom! Part Two: Developing Policies in Support of Ethical Practice
Part two in a two-part series, this webinar explores library policies and procedures related to intellectual freedom, privacy, and confidentiality.
This event has passed.
Building on part one, Hooray for Freedom! Privacy, Confidentiality, and Intellectual Freedom in the Library, this webinar will help you assess your library’s current policies and procedures within a legal context, and help you draft specific policy language. We’ll explore considerations for libraries of all sizes in order to codify the library profession’s values for our institutions.
In this webinar, learners will:
- Increase understanding of the language in, and policy implications for, the 1st and 4th Amendments.
- Learn how to translate legal opinion into policy considerations for libraries.
- Recognize how to avoid policy drafting traps by maintaining focus on mission and purpose.
Presented by: Margo Gustina, Special Projects Librarian, Rural Library Service and Social Wellbeing, Southern Tier Library System (NY), 2018 Library Journal Mover & Shaker, and past-president of New York Library Association Rural Libraries Round Table; and Eli Guinnee, State Librarian, New Mexico State Library, co-founders of Hooray4.org.
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Hooray4.org, including Hooray for Freedom Resource Packets and Checklists
- Preserving Access While Regulating Conduct in Public Libraries, Western City
- On Deliberative Democracy Practice, Kettering Foundation
- Library Freedom Project
- View the recording for Hooray for Freedom! Part One: Privacy, Confidentiality, and Intellectual Freedom in the Library
- Association for Rural & Small Libraries
- Library Journal
- School Library Journal
- Shared in Chat
- State Privacy Laws Regarding Library Records, ALA
- Art of Gathering
- Meeting Rooms, Exhibit Spaces, and Programs, ALA
- Not Censorship, But Selection
- The Akron-Summit County Public Library policy on unattended children and vulnerable adults
07 July 2022
14 July 2022
12 August 2022
30 August 2022