Family Literacy at a Food Pantry
In this webinar, learn how Cazenovia Public Library operates learning-focused programs for the whole family at a local food pantry.
This event has passed.
The Cazenovia Public Library is connecting the dots between early literacy, the local food pantry and family well-being, and they’re doing it all on a small budget. Starting with an Early Literacy project at the CazCares food pantry, library outreach coordinators began to build more in-depth relationships with the food pantry’s clients. Their interactions led to unexpected positive outcomes:
- adults obtaining their high school equivalency through the library tutoring program;
- school age children participating in an interactive summer learning program and book club;
- and the food pantry becoming the site for ESL classes, Dolly Parton Imagination Library sign ups and health literacy initiatives.
Find out how this innovative library team supplemented their small budget with donations and volunteers to make Family Literacy work for the community.
Presented by: Betsy Kennedy, Director, Cazenovia Public Library
This is an encore presentation from the 2015 Association for Rural & Small Libraries conference.
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
Related Resources and Links
- Cazenovia Public Library
- On WebJunction
- Every Child Ready to Read
- Dolly Parton's Imagination Library
- Little Free Library
- Too Small To Fail and Text4Baby (available in Spanish)
03 December 2015
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
06 June 2023
Promoting Voter and Civic Engagement at Your Library
29 June 2023
Low Morale in Libraries: Impacts and Countermeasures
13 July 2023
Designing for Diversity in Your Library’s Communications
18 July 2023
16 August 2023
Climate Action Planning (Part 1): An Introduction
26 September 2023
Climate Action Planning (Part 2): Disaster Preparedness and Community Resilience
03 October 2023
28 November 2023
Living Our Values Out Loud: Programs that Walk the Talk
13 December 2023