Explore and Discover: Nature-Based Spaces and Activities at your Library
A webinar on library programming that encourages children to explore, discover and connect with nature.
This event has passed.
When children have regular contact with nature, they learn and grow better. Children who play, build, climb, grow, splash and read are developing their observation, visual-spatial, social, and literacy skills. Nature Explorium, a nature-based program at Middle Country Public Library (NY), encourages children to explore, discover and connect with nature. Learn about best practices and resources that you can use at your library to create outdoor spaces, along with indoor and outdoor nature activities. It's a unique way to connect literacy, learning and appreciation for nature as a regular part of the library visit.
Presented by: Tracy LaStella, Coordinator for Youth Services, Middle Country Public Library, NY, and 2015 Library Journal Mover & Shaker.
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
Related Resources and Links
- Nature Explorium
- Growing Nature Literacy in Libraries Resource Book (pdf) An extensive collection of bibliographies, links, program ideas and activity templates.
- Tracy LaStella | Movers & Shakers 2015 — Innovators, Library Journal
- Children Are Being Connected to Nature Right in the Library, School Library Journal
- Project Learning Tree
02 February 2016
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
06 June 2023
Promoting Voter and Civic Engagement at Your Library
29 June 2023
Low Morale in Libraries: Impacts and Countermeasures
13 July 2023
Designing for Diversity in Your Library’s Communications
18 July 2023
16 August 2023
Climate Action Planning (Part 1): An Introduction
26 September 2023
Climate Action Planning (Part 2): Disaster Preparedness and Community Resilience
03 October 2023
28 November 2023
Living Our Values Out Loud: Programs that Walk the Talk
13 December 2023