Engaged Planning: Ask What You Can Do For Your Rural Community
A webinar presented in collaboration with ARSL outlining the steps of an engaged planning process, to align library capabilities with community needs and aspirations.
This event has passed.
Your community needs the library, and planning for the future of your library begins with understanding the community and their aspirations. Once you understand what your rural community wants and needs, you can assess how the library can help them. In this webinar, understand the important steps of this engaged planning process, including internal assessment, data collection and analysis, trustee involvement, and community conversations. Learn what it means for your library to “turn outward” to secure its place at the heart of your community.
This webinar is hosted in collaboration with the Association for Rural and Small Libraries.
Presented by: Cindy Fesemyer, Director, Columbus (WI) Public Library, population 5,000
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Read webinar writeup
- Association for Rural & Small Libraries
- Wisconsin's Public Library Space Needs: A Planning Outline
- Edge Assessment
- Impact Survey
- Gale Analytics
- ALA’s Libraries Transforming Communities
- View a free, 60-minute webinar about how three libraries are using the "turning outward" approach: Go Out & Play: Community Engagement through Turning Outward
- A Step-By-Step Guide to 'Turning Outward' to Your Community (pdf)
- Community Conversation Workbook (pdf)
- Calibrating Community Conditions / Moving from Aspirations to Action: Step 1 (pdf)
- LibraryVision.org for Aspen Institute Report and Action Guide for Re-Envisioning Your Public Library
- Shared in Chat
- WebJunction's Spanish Language Outreach Community Leader Interview Guide
- Webinar, Library Surveys for Success
- Guide, Transforming Library Spaces for Community Engagement
01 December 2016
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
Webinar presenter Cindy Fesemyer
08 October 2020
22 October 2020
10 November 2020