Outside the Box - Placemaking, Partnerships & Community Event Design
A webinar with the Outside the Box program exploring how libraries are leveraging the placemaking process to build community engagement through local entertainment events.
This event has passed.
Developed and funded by Redbox, and managed by OCLC in partnership with Project for Public Spaces, Outside the Box is an innovative program that brings people together for free, fun entertainment events in their local community. When people connect, communities benefit--and as trusted community anchors, public libraries are central to Outside the Box efforts
- Part 1: What is placemaking?
- Part 2: Turning your event into a great place experience
- Part 3: How to conduct a community brainstorming session
- Identify a space near the library, on the library grounds, or in the community that can be used for ongoing public entertainment events
- Lead a community brainstorming or planning session on event/place design
- Identify at least three new community partners and an action plan for engaging with them
- Develop a list of reusable materials and features that can be used in the community space, to create a welcoming, comfortable environment (seating, tables, surface cover, shading, lighting, etc.)
Presented by Elena Madison, Vice President, Project for Public Spaces
Original date: March 2014
Length: 1 hour
Archive viewing options:
- Outside the Box
- Project for Public Spaces
- their projects with libraries
- "The People’s Place:" How Placemaking Can Build Today’s Best Libraries
- Libraries that Matter
- Library Placemaking in Action
- Thinking “Outside the Box”: Libraries Innovate to Connect Communities
- Houston Library Plaza: Building Knowledge, Building Community
- Creativity & Placemaking: Building Inspiring Centers of Culture
- The Library as Catalyst for Civic Engagment | Reinventing Libraries, Library Journal
- See also archive recording for 10/23/13 webinar, Libraries Go “Outside the Box” with Redbox, when program was in pilot phase, and featuring Hallie Rich, Marketing and Communications Director, from the Cuyahoga County Public Library. These slides are from this event.
23 October 2013
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
21 October 2015
29 October 2015
04 November 2015