CFPB’s Your Money, Your Goals: Financial Empowerment for Your Community
Learn about Your Money, Your Goals, a comprehensive tool created by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, to help empower people in your community who are developing financial knowledge.
Whether you’re talking to patrons about Covid-19, searching for a job, going to college, or deciding where to live, money is often a key concern. Guiding patrons through a complicated financial landscape, can be challenging and confusing, and can be unfair when the playing field is not level. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), is focused on using all of their tools, including enforcement, rule-writing, and research to address systemic racism and economic inequality in the consumer financial system. One of the ways to address wealth inequality in the U.S. is through empowering people who are developing their financial knowledge. With the right tools and resources, you can start conversations on this essential topic which touches all our lives.
The CFPB provides a comprehensive tool, Your Money, Your Goals (YMYG). YMYG is a set of free financial empowerment materials for organizations that help people meet their financial goals by increasing their knowledge, skills, and resources. Join this session to explore resources you can use with patrons working on their financial goals and hear from the Norfolk Public Library about how they are using YMYG resources to close the financial literacy gap in their community. And also learn about ALA’s Financial Literacy Interest Group—a place to find support and share best practices for financial literacy in all libraries and communities.
- Cassie Russell, Training and Technical Assistance Consultant, ICF
- Alex Gabriel, Information Technology Trainer, Norfolk Public Library (VA)
- Emily Mross, Business Librarian and Library Outreach Coordinator, Penn State Harrisburg Library, and Chair, RUSA Financial Literacy Interest Group
- View Webinar Recording (Coming Soon)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls) (Coming Soon)
- View captions (txt) (Coming Soon)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Your Money, Your Goals
- Access the Toolkit
- Companion Guides, for working with military communities, Native communities, people with disabilities and people with criminal records
- Four actionable, compact Booklets on bills, credit, debt and saving
- Short Videos to help explain concepts from the Your Money, Your Goals toolkit
- The 43 tools and handouts from the full toolkit are available as individual, fillable pdfs, to help meet the needs of each person you're working with.
- Contact Your Money, Your Goals: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CFPB resources on Protecting your finances during the coronavirus pandemic
- CFPB Resources for Libraries
- Ask CFPB
- CFPB on Racial and Economic Inequity
- CFPB on Serving Economically Vulnerable Consumers
- CFPB on Helping Multilingual Communities and Newcomers
- CFPB video How to promote your financial education program
- CFPB Community partnership guidebook for libraries (pdf)
- ALA’s Financial Literacy Interest Group
- FLIG posts on ProgrammingLibrarian.org
- FLIG LibGuide, Financial Literacy in Public Libraries: A Guide for Building Collections
- Norfolk Public Library and short Facebook video promoting their YMYG programming
- See also, WebJunction webinars and resources with CFPB
- When I’m 64: Financial Literacy Resources for Those Nearing and in Retirement (webinar)
- Libraries Help Patrons Become Financially Empowered Consumers (webinar)
- Financial Education Tools for Libraries from CFPB
- Money as You Grow Book Shelf: How to Help Families Build Their Children's Money Skills
22 September 2021
28 September 2021
19 October 2021