Weed 'Em and Reap: Getting Your Collection from Awful to Awesome
This session discusses the life cycle of a collection, including weeding techniques, collection management policies, and how to motivate reluctant weeders.
This event has passed.
Reap the benefits of a well-weeded collection! This session will discuss the life cycle of a collection, including weeding techniques, collection management policies, and how to motivate reluctant weeders. Join co-authors of the popular blog Awful Library Books to learn their holistic approach to collection management as they help all types and sizes of libraries find the joy in a shelf list that reflects a clean, relevant, and current collection!
Presented by: Mary Kelly, Digital Services and Emerging Technologies Librarian, and Holly Hibner, Adult Services Coordinator, at the Plymouth District Library (MI), co-creators of Awful Library Books, and co-authors of “Making a Collection Count: A Holistic Approach to Library Collection Management.”
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Awful Library Books
- Sample Collection Documents
- Making a Collection Count: A Holistic Approach to Library Collection Management, book by Mary Kelly and Holly Hibner
- CREW: A Weeding Manual for Modern Libraries, Texas State Library and Archives Commission
- Seven Answers to Seven Weeding Questions by Mary Kelly and Holly Hibner
- Collections Management on WebJunction
- Weeding the Library Collection, a course on WebJunction
- WebJunction webinar, Book Challenges and Intellectual Freedom: Proactive Planning for Public Libraries
- Resources on Book Challenges and Intellectual Freedom
- Additional links shared in chat
- Better World Books for some discards
- Medical Library Association, Collection Development Best Practices (pdf) – for possible questions specific to collection development of medical books
- National Archives and Records Administration's Statement on Potentially Harmful Content
- National Library of New Zealand, Complaints about library items
14 July 2022
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Mary Kelly
Webinar presenter Holly Hibner
13 March 2024
30 April 2024