Privacy Literacy at Your Library
A webinar about the Virtual Privacy Lab, a privacy literacy resource available to all, which helps library patrons feel safe and confident online.
This event has passed.
Our offline lives are no longer separate from our online identities. Many people are unaware of how their information is being used, what they have control over, or how to have safe online interactions. San José Public Library's Virtual Privacy Lab has developed a seven-module customized learning experience for library patrons, in English, Spanish and Vietnamese. The modules guide users through topics such as social media and security, and provide personalized tips, links and resources that enable them to feel safe and confident online. This privacy literacy resource is available for everyone, so learn how you can utilize the online Virtual Privacy Lab with the populations you serve at your library.
Presented by: Erin Berman, Innovations Manager, San José Public Library (CA), and 2016 Library Journal Mover & Shaker
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- 2016 Library Journal Movers & Shakers
- Erin Berman's 2016 Library Journal Mover & Shaker feature
- San José Public Library's Virtual Privacy Lab
- Knight Foundation News Challenge - grant details
- Pew Research Center - State of Privacy in America, 2016 report
- IDEO, Design Thinking for Libraries Toolkit
- Luma Institute
- SJPL Privacy Adventure Game Demo Video
- ALA Resources
- Data Privacy Project (includes curriculum for library staff on digital privacy)
- Library Freedom Project
- Upcoming TechSoup webinar, March 16, Protecting Patron Privacy in Public Libraries
- Other webinars in the Movers & Shakers series:
07 March 2017
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
Webinar presenter Erin Berman
(Photo: Shawn G. Henry)
24 April 2018
24 May 2018
29 May 2018
14 August 2018
03 October 2018