Privacy Literacy at Your Library
A webinar about the Virtual Privacy Lab, a privacy literacy resource available to all, which helps library patrons feel safe and confident online.
This event has passed.
Our offline lives are no longer separate from our online identities. Many people are unaware of how their information is being used, what they have control over, or how to have safe online interactions. San José Public Library's Virtual Privacy Lab has developed a seven-module customized learning experience for library patrons, in English, Spanish and Vietnamese. The modules guide users through topics such as social media and security, and provide personalized tips, links and resources that enable them to feel safe and confident online. This privacy literacy resource is available for everyone, so learn how you can utilize the online Virtual Privacy Lab with the populations you serve at your library.
This webinar is part of a series highlighting the work of recent LJ Movers & Shakers and is hosted in collaboration with Library Journal.
Presented by: Erin Berman, Innovations Manager, San José Public Library (CA), and 2016 Library Journal Mover & Shaker
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
Related Resources and Links
- 2016 Library Journal Movers & Shakers
- Erin Berman's 2016 Library Journal Mover & Shaker feature
- San José Public Library's Virtual Privacy Lab
- Get Started Today: privacy tools, apps, and resources to start managing your online activities and identities today
- Privacy at Your Library
- Knight Foundation News Challenge - grant details
- Pew Research Center - State of Privacy in America, 2016 report
- IDEO, Design Thinking for Libraries Toolkit
- Luma Institute
- SJPL Privacy Adventure Game Demo Video
- ALA Resources
- Data Privacy Project (includes curriculum for library staff on digital privacy)
- Library Freedom Project
- Upcoming TechSoup webinar, March 16, Protecting Patron Privacy in Public Libraries
- Other webinars in the Movers & Shakers series:
07 March 2017
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
Webinar presenter Erin Berman
(Photo: Shawn G. Henry)
31 March 2023
Universal Design at Your Library
19 April 2023
Proactive Planning for Library Staff Transitions
18 May 2023