Make, Do, Share: Build a STEM Learning Community
A webinar presenting a ready-to-use system that empowers libraries of all sizes to become community STEM leaders.
This event has passed.
Youth in grades K-12 spend an astounding 81% of their time in informal learning environments outside of school. Libraries are a locus of informal learning. As the number of STEM related careers continues to multiply, libraries can play a key role in fostering the interest and excitement for STEM learning that may be missing in schools. Through the generous support of a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, Kitsap Regional Library System (KRL) has developed a ready-to-use system that empowers libraries of all sizes to become community STEM leaders. If you feel like an "accidental STEM librarian" and are wondering how to get started, staff at this semi-rural library system will share fresh ideas and hands-on, practical advice for planning and implementing impactful programs. Learn how to take the lead with informal learning for youth and families in your community.
Presenters: From Kitsap Regional Library, Shannon Peterson, Youth Services Manager and Seth Ciotti, BiblioTEC Program Manager
This webinar is hosted in collaboration with the Association for Rural & Small Libraries.
- View Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View Slides (pdf)
- View Chat (xls)
- View Captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Document 1: Discover Your Community
- Document 2: Play Package Template
- Document 3: Example BITS Play Package
- Make Do Share Project, including downloadable guide (pdf)
- Read webinar recap
- Association for Rural & Small Libraries
- 2016 Finalist, IMLS National Medal for Library Service, Kitsap Regional Library
- Carol Dweck - Mindset: the new psychology of success
- Annie E. Casey Foundation. Kids Count Data Center. http://datacenter.kidscount.org/
- Ready by 21. Program Landscape Mapping Packet. http://www.readyby21.org/resources/program-landscape-mapping-packet
- U.S. Department of Education. Data and Research
- Work Group for Community Health and Development. “Assessing Community Needs and Resources Toolbox” Community Toolbox. University of Kansas. http://ctb.ku.edu/en/assessing-community-needs-and-resources
- Family Creative Learning Facilitation Guides
- SEARCH Institute
- Ready by 21. Building Blocks for Effective Change: Broader Partnerships, Bigger Goals, Better Data, and Bolder Actions. http://www.readyby21.org/toolkits
- Remake Learning. “The Learning Network.” Remake Learning Playbook
- STEM Ecosystems. Key Resources. http://stemecosystems.org/resources/?resource-category=key-resources
- We learned in chat about Bus Stop Socials hosted by the Newport News Public Library System and their partners
- STEM programming ideas:
28 April 2016
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
26 September 2023
03 October 2023
11 October 2023
24 October 2023
28 November 2023
13 December 2023