Library Policies for Today’s Communities
View this webinar to learn the importance of crafting clear policies for your library, to help establish and set standards that ensure equity and safety for both staff and patrons.
This event has passed.
Library policies have the power to facilitate inclusive, safe, and supportive experiences for all. View this webinar to learn the importance of crafting clear policies for your library, to help establish and set standards that ensure equity and safety for both staff and patrons. Follow North Liberty Library’s journey as they reviewed and renewed policies and procedures with a lens of inclusivity, for all areas of library operations. In this applicable approach for all library types and sizes, learn effective methods for building staff awareness and understanding of policies, and gain a fresh perspective on how policies can create flexibility, empathy, and allyship with those we serve.
This webinar was hosted by WebJunction in collaboration with the Association for Rural and Small Libraries.
Presented by: Jennie Garner, Library Director, North Liberty Library (IA) and 2023 President, Association for Rural & Small Libraries
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Association for Rural & Small Libraries
- North Liberty Library
- Find current Library Policy Manual and Strategic Plan under the About tab
- Disruptive Behavior Procedure Flow Chart (pdf)
- Meeting Room Use Policy (pdf)
- Also collected in a Google folder
- American Library Association
- ALA resource guide for Library Policy Development
- EDI in Our Libraries
- Diversity in the Workplace
- Creating Policies for Results: From Chaos to Clarity. Nelson, Sandra and June Garcia (2003).
- Government Alliance on Race & Equity
- How to Foster True Diversity and Inclusion at work (and in your community), Rosalind Brewer, TEDTalks
- Library Leadership Podcast by Adriane Herrick Juarez, 96. Policies of Yes, Jan 13, 2022
- My Year of Saying Yes to Everything, Shonda Rhimes, TEDTalks
- Project READY
- US Chamber of Commerce, Writing a Diversity and Inclusion Statement: How to Get it Right
- Why Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Matters for Nonprofits, National Council of Nonprofits
- Public Library Policy Collection, Colorado Library Consortium
- Policies topic area on WebJunction
- Shared in Chat
- BoardSource - Creating Policies offers a variety of resources related to the board's role in policy making, especially as it relates to boards and governance
- WebJunction webinar, Creating a Restorative Library Culture
- Policy and Process Review Through an Equity Lens Tool (pdf)
- Today I Bent a Rule: Barrier Identification Staff Survey at Halifax Public Libraries
- What Makes a Policy Racist (pdf), Tax Policy Center, Urban Institute and Brookings Institute
- Useful toolkit in framing how we think about a library being inclusive, Community-Led Libraries Toolkit (pdf)
- What do mirrors, windows, and sliding glass doors have to do with books?
- On Facebook, Tiny Library Think Tank
22 February 2023
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
Webinar presenter Jennie Garner
13 December 2023
04 January 2024
30 January 2024
22 February 2024
27 February 2024