Getting Started with Social Media for Your Library
Part 1 in the Libraries and Social Media webinar series, jointly hosted by WebJunction and TechSoup.
This event has passed.
Social media has the potential to increase community engagement with new and existing library patrons. Join us to learn how libraries can effectively use social media tools, even with limited staff and time. Learn how to identify the appropriate social media platforms to market library services and events, and how to integrate best social media practices in your library's marketing plan. We’ll help you build a foundation for your social media strategy and provide practical ideas and tactics for immediate use in your library.
This webinar is part one in a series hosted in collaboration with TechSoup.
Presented by: Amy Hitchner, Collaborative Programming Coordinator, Colorado State Library; and Jessica Bacon, Executive Editor and Founder, The 5 Minute Librarian
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Webinar Series Learner Guide (pdf) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- TechSoup and TechSoup for Libraries
- Final report of the Social Media and Libraries Survey
- Part 2 in the series, Social Media Analytics: What to Measure and Why
- Part 3 in the series, Going Deeper with Social Media
- Social Media Policy Examples
- Connect with others in Facebook group: Libraries & Social Media
- TechSoup's Social Media Starter Kit
- Image Resources, collected by WebJunction
- WebJunction's Social Library series, highlighting libraries we follow on Facebook
- Geek the Library on Facebook, maintained by WebJunction
- Pew Research Center:
Resources shared by Amy
- Blogs & Articles
- Learning & Training
- Design Tools
Resources shared by Jessica
- Worksheet: Understanding Facebook Activities, by Jessica Bacon
- Experts to Follow
- Great Content Generators
- Bacon, Jessica. 8 Free Ways to Boost Your Library’s Facebook Reach. May 29, 2015
- Bacon, Jessica. 15 Viral Content Ideas for Your Library’s FB Page!. July 24, 2015
- Connell, Adam. Hootsuite Vs Buffer. July 12, 2016
- Constine, Josh. How Facebook News Feed Works. September 6, 2016
- Ellering, Nathan. How Often to Post on Social Media? July 3, 2017
- Gray, Ian Anderson. 7 Reasons NOT to use Hootsuite. March 15, 2017
- Greenwood, Shannon, Perrin, Andrew, and Maeve Duggan. Social Media Update 2016. November 11, 2016
- How to Link Your Facebook Groups and Pages. May 10, 2017
- Hutchinson, Andrew. 3 Reasons Why Facebook Groups May Offer New Opportunities for Brands. July 18, 2017
- Jin, Kang-Xing. Our First Communities Summit and New Tools for Group Admins. Facebook Newsroom. June 22, 2017
- Lee, Kevan. The Complete Guide to Getting Started with Facebook Ads. January 9, 2017
- Smith, Mari. How to Maximize Your Facebook Reach. March 20, 2017
- Stewart, James B. Facebook Has 50 Minutes of Your Time Each Day. It Wants More. May 5, 2016.
- The Top 20 Valuable Facebook Statistics. March 2017, updated September 2017
- Wallaroo Media. Facebook Algorithm Change History. October 12, 2017
Additional links shared in Chat:
- Literary Holidays to Celebrate All Year Long (from 5 Minute Librarian)
- Alternatives to Hootsuite for all platforms with Free License
- Icons for Everything - the Noun Project
- Canva for nonprofits
- And many library social media pages. Check them out in the attached chat!
24 October 2017
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Amy Hitchner
Webinar presenter Jessica Bacon