From Tots to Teens: STE(A)M-powered Ideas for Programming
In this webinar, learn how to create engaging and skill-building STE(A)M programs for kids from preschool age to teenage.
This event has passed.
Whether you're already full steam ahead with STE(A)M programming in your library or not sure how to get started or somewhere in between, there's something for you in this webinar. Our presenters—"The Heathers"—are passionate about creating engaging and skill-building STE(A)M programs for kids from preschool age to teenage. Find out what to look for in a good program and hear their top picks for programs for each age range. Learn some tips, tricks and useful resources. Get inspired—you don’t need to be a scientist or engineer to have fun exploring and learning with the kids in your library.
Presented by: Heather Love Beverley, Cook Memorial Public Library District, Libertyville, IL; and Heather Thompson, Youth Services Programming Librarian, Kenosha Public Library, WI.
Together, "The Heathers" have created more than 60 different STEM/STEAM programs for children. Their blog, STEM in Libraries, offers lesson plans, supply lists, resource links and more for these programs. In addition to STEM-related webinars and staff trainings, they presented "52 Weeks of STEM @ Your Library" at the 2015 Illinois Library Association Conference, the 2016 Public Library Association Conference, the 2016 Public Library Association Virtual Conference, and the 2016 ALA Annual Conference as an ALSC Hot Topic. Heather Love Beverley was a 2012 ALA Emerging Leader, and Heather Thompson was a 2017 ALA Emerging Leader.
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Handout (pdf)
- STEM in Libraries blog, and featured program examples
- STEAM Storytime: Outer Space!
- STEAM Storytime: Germs!
- STEAM Storytime: Rain!
- 1st-3rd Grade Program: Paleontology
- 1st-3rd Grade Program: Balance
- 1st-3rd Grade Program: Circus Bridges or Wizard Science
- 4th – 6th Grade Program: Programming Without Computers
- 4th – 6th Grade Program: Roller Coasters
- 4th – 6th Grade Program: Engineering in a Bag
- 7th Grade and Up Program: Crash Test Dummies
- 7th Grade and Up Program: Arcade Champions
- Family Program: Fun Family Science, second edition, third edition
- Family Program: Structures
- STEM in Libraries Facebook group
- Resources for STEM/STEAM Projects and Programs and Makerspace and Digital Media Lab Resources
14 December 2017
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
Webinar presenter Heather Love Beverley
Webinar presenter Heather Thompson
05 December 2023
13 December 2023
04 January 2024
30 January 2024
22 February 2024
27 February 2024