Whole Person Librarianship: Fostering Empathy in Challenging Times
Join us for this webinar to learn about Whole Person Librarianship which draws from social work concepts to help library staff become more confident in learning from, interacting with, and serving diverse patrons.
This event has passed.
Libraries are among the few public spaces that feel safe and welcoming to everyone in our current political landscape. As librarians striving to provide equitable service, we are challenged to meet the needs of patrons whose life experiences are markedly different from our own. To address these challenges, we have much to learn much from social workers, who are trained to approach their clients with empathy while maintaining professional boundaries. Whole Person Librarianship draws from social work concepts to help librarians become more confident in learning from, interacting with, and serving diverse patrons. Learn basic ideas to build your empathy skills, such as cultural humility and person-in-environment, to apply right away to your library practice, as well as where to find more in-depth information and support.
Presented by: Sara Zettervall, Founder, Whole Person Librarianship, and Community Engagement Librarian, Hennepin County Library (MN); and Mary Nienow, PhD Candidate in Social Work, and beginning in August 2017, Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire (WI)
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Whole Person Librarianship website: www.wholepersonlibrarianship.com
- National Association of Social Workers and Code of Ethics
- ALA's Core Values of Librarianship
- edX University of Michigan,"MicroMasters" Social Work: Practice, Policy and Research (Free to audit, lots of good introductory info)
- Minitex webinars on serving patrons experiencing homelessness that include some elements of WPL: Part One and Part Two
- Cultural Humility: A Lifelong Practice, Melinda Hohman, Ph.D.
- Cultural humility versus cultural competence, Melanie Tervalon; Jann Murray-Garcia
- Cultural Humility: People, Principles and Practices - Parts 1 - 4, short film in 4 video segments
- The Danger of a Single Story, TED Talk, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- How to overcome our biases? Walk boldly toward them, TED Talk, Vernā Myers
28 March 2017
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Sara Zettervall
Webinar presenter Mary Nienow