Wikipedia for Libraries: Preview the Possibilities, Discover the Opportunities
This webinar highlights how you can use Wikipedia to connect more people to your collections and creatively engage your community members.
This event has passed.
Wikipedia is more than its collection of user-contributed articles; it is a dynamic community with powerful tools that ensure reliability. For public libraries, Wikipedia can be a useful tool to connect patrons with quality information and help them build information literacy skills. In this webinar, learn how you can use Wikipedia to expand access to your collections and creatively engage your communities.
Gain an understanding of the editorial process from OCLC's Wikipedian-in-Residence and discover how guest presenter Tiffany Bailey has successfully used Wikipedia for community outreach and partnership-building at Dallas Public Library.
You'll leave with new insights about Wikipedia and practical tips on how to apply what you've learned. You’ll also hear more about the Wikipedia + Libraries online training program being held in the fall of 2017. This free nine-week course offers the opportunity to gain skills in Wikipedia editing and engagement in a collaborative learning environment with public library peers.
The Wikipedia + Libraries: Better Together project is funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and the Wikimedia Foundation.
Presented by: Monika Sengul-Jones, Wikipedian-in-Residence, OCLC; Tiffany Bailey, Fine Arts Division Manager, Dallas Public Library; and Betha Gutsche, WebJunction Program Manager.
Tweet: #wjwebinar #oclcwikilib
- View Webinar Recording (YouTube)
- View Webinar Recording (To receive a certificate for viewing the recording, you will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Enroll now in the Wikipedia + Libraries training program
- Questions about the training program answered in FAQ
- Wikipedia + Libraries: Better Together, project area
- Anita Nanez Martinez Wikipedia article
- Art + Feminism and Art + Feminism organizers tool kit
- Chihuahuita Wikipedia article, including page view analysis
- Comparative study of Encyclopedia Britannica and Wikipedia (pdf)
- FemTechNet Wiki Storming
- Librarians who Wikipedia series (Including Tiffany Bailey, Dallas Public Library)
- Wikipedia Book Citation Tool Links Readers to Local Library Collections
- Whose Knowledge
- Wiki Education Foundation
- Wiki Education Report on Wikipedia and Information Literacy in Higher Education
- Wikipedia Library
- Wikipedia Library’s #1lib1ref campaign
- WikiProject Women in Red
19 July 2017
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Monika Sengul-Jones
Webinar presenter Tiffany Bailey
Webinar presenter Betha Gutsche
27 April 2021
04 May 2021
18 May 2021