Citations Needed: Build Your Wikipedia Skills While Building the World’s Encyclopedia
Gain an understanding of the inner workings of Wikipedia and learn how to participate in the #1lib1ref campaign to improve the online encyclopedia used by information-seekers around the world.
This event has passed.
Librarians have the power to make Wikipedia better and more reliable. Once you understand how this collaborative, community-driven encyclopedia works, you’ll see the value of contributing your expertise and knowledge. Wikipedia Library’s annual #1lib1ref (“One Librarian, One Reference”) campaign provides a simple and fun way to get started. This global initiative invites all library staff to improve the verifiability of information on Wikipedia by adding at least one reference during the campaign, which runs from January 15 through February 3, 2018.
During this webinar, Monika Sengul-Jones, OCLC Wikipedian-in-Residence, will illuminate the inner workings of Wikipedia to build your confidence in its viability as a resource. Emily Jack, community engagement librarian at UNC Chapel Hill Libraries, will share what library staff love about participating in #1lib1ref—and why engaging with Wikipedia makes sense for libraries. Learn how you can participate in #1lib1ref, confidently add a citation to Wikipedia and connect with other librarians who are motivated to contribute to this popular resource used by information-seekers around the world. Join the community of librarians who Wikipedia!
The Wikipedia + Libraries: Better Together project is funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and the Wikimedia Foundation.
Presented by: Monika Sengul-Jones, Wikipedian-in-Residence, OCLC, and Emily Jack, Community Engagement Librarian, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Libraries.
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (pdf) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- See multiple related links in the Learner Guide (pdf)
- Wikipedia + Libraries: Better Together, project area
- Librarians who Wikipedia series
- OCLC Wikipedia + Libraries Course Concludes with Plans for Action
- Wikipedia Library’s #1lib1ref campaign
- Librarians Improve Wikipedia During Global #1Lib1Ref Campaign
- Do you fall down a Wikipedia rabbit hole after each episode of ‘The Crown’? You’re not alone, Washington Post
- What’s your second screen? Film, television, and the British monarchy fill Wikipedia’s most-viewed articles of 2017
- Wikipedia:Five pillars
- Wikipedia:Neutral point of view
- Plan a #1lib1ref Coffee Break with these step-by-step instructions
- North Carolina Triangle Wikipedians
- Wikipedia Programs & Events Dashboard
- Wikimedia 2030, Strategic Direction
- Additional links shared in chat
10 January 2018
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
Webinar presenter Monika Sengul-Jones
Webinar presenter Emily Jack
28 July 2020
06 August 2020