Why Wikipedia Matters for Health and Medical Information
In this webinar learn about the upcoming online training program Wikipedia + Libraries: Health and Medical Information.
Wikipedia is a go-to resource for health and medical information, not just for the general public but for health care providers as well. Over 50% of physicians, and 94% of medical students use Wikipedia to find medical information on the internet.* It may be popular but library staff want to know how reliable it is and how to assess quality on behalf of their patrons.
Join the webinar to learn about WikiProject Medicine, an organization of volunteers dedicated to developing, maintaining, and promoting accurate medical information on Wikipedia, and how the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) supports strengthening the ability of public libraries nationwide to find reliable and authoritative medical and health information online for information seekers. Learn about the upcoming online course Wikipedia + Libraries: Health and Medical Information that will empower you to confidently guide your patrons to reliable resources on the internet. The free four-week course will be offered in the fall of 2019.
Presented by: Betha Gutsche, WebJunction Program Manager, OCLC; and Liz Waltman, Outreach, Education and Communications Coordinator, Southeastern/Atlantic Region, National Network of Libraries of Medicine; and Monika Sengul-Jones, Doctoral Candidate at UC San Diego and former OCLC Wikipedian-in-Residence.
- View Webinar Recording (Coming Soon)
- View slides (pdf) (Coming Soon)
- View chat (xls) (Coming Soon)
- View captions (txt) (Coming Soon)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning. (Coming Soon)
- Read more about the upcoming course, Wikipedia + Libraries: Health and Medical Information. See also the course FAQs.
- Hot Topic video presentation at ALA Annual: Wikipedia for Health (21 minutes) with Sharon Streams, on empowering library staff to confidently guide patrons to reliable Wikipedia health and medical topics.
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine
- WikiProject Medicine
- Wikipedia + Libraries: Better Together
14 August 2019
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Betha Gutsche
Webinar presenter Liz Waltman
Webinar presenter Monika Sengul-Jones
08 August 2019
14 August 2019
27 August 2019
12 September 2019