The Power of Small: How Rural Libraries Help Their Communities Thrive
Learn how any tiny library can find more ways to support the needs of their community by thinking strategically and creating new connections.
This event has passed.
All libraries provide vital services to their communities, but libraries that serve small, rural populations have the potential to go beyond providing information and access—they can inject the vitality that will help their communities thrive. Addressing the challenges faced by rural areas may seem daunting to a library with few staff and limited resources, but any tiny library can find more ways to support the needs of their community by thinking strategically and creating new connections with their stakeholders, patrons, and other library staff. Learn how small library director and 2018 Library Journal Mover & Shaker, Allie Stevens, applied the concept of growth mindsets to set her priorities, use resources and volunteers smartly, and avoid burnout as a solo librarian. Follow her lead to turn your library into a powerhouse for your community.
This webinar is presented in collaboration with the Association for Rural & Small Libraries.
Presented by: Allie Stevens, Director, Calhoun County Library & Museum, Hampton, Arkansas
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Calhoun Volunteer Forms:
Related Resources and Links
- Association for Rural & Small Libraries
- Allie's 2018 Movers & Shakers profile on Library Journal
- Tiny Library Think Tank on Facebook
- Swan, D. W., Grimes, J., & Owens, T. (2013). The State of Small and Rural Libraries in the United States (Research brief No. 5). Washington, DC: Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- WebJunction’s New Tools for Getting Beyond the Survey to Discover Your Community Needs
- Defending Intellectual Freedom: LGBTQ+ Materials in School Libraries, AASL
- The Shareable Clique on Facebook
- Library Market on Dropbox
- Mindset Assessment on Mindset Works
- SLJ TeenLive (2018) and LibraryCon (2018) conferences
- Booklist webinars
- Big Talk from Small Libraries online conference
- List of free library-relevant webinars collected by Wyoming State Library
- The Aspen Institute Dialogue on Public Libraries Action Guide (pdf) see more from Aspen Institute, libraryvision.org
18 April 2019
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Allie Stevens
06 June 2023
Promoting Voter and Civic Engagement at Your Library
29 June 2023
Low Morale in Libraries: Impacts and Countermeasures
13 July 2023
Designing for Diversity in Your Library’s Communications
18 July 2023
16 August 2023
Climate Action Planning (Part 1): An Introduction
26 September 2023
Climate Action Planning (Part 2): Disaster Preparedness and Community Resilience
03 October 2023
28 November 2023
Living Our Values Out Loud: Programs that Walk the Talk
13 December 2023