Getting Started with Virtual Storytimes
This 90-minute webinar provides a comprehensive introduction to virtual storytimes.
This event has passed.
Many libraries are moving their storytimes online, to be able to engage with families during times of social distancing. If you want to launch virtual storytimes at your library, but don’t know where to start, this webinar is for you! This comprehensive introduction to virtual storytimes includes book selection and copyright, technology and social media tools, strategies for accessibility and inclusion, early literacy activities, and ideas for promotion. Learn lessons on how to create a dynamic and engaging online presence and building a rapport with your virtual audience.
Presenter: Renee Grassi, Youth Services Manager, Dakota County Library (MN)
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Renee Grassi, website with blogs, publications, and additional resources
- Renee's 2014 WebJunction webinar, Serving the Underserved: Children with Disabilities at Your Library
- Library Storytimes during COVID-19 – a Different Kind of Connection and Library Storytimes during COVID-19 – Connecting with Families, by Saroj Ghoting on WebJunction
- Youth Programming Goes Virtual—Storytimes, Crafts, Teen Activities, and More, WebJunction, including examples of library virtual storytimes
- See additional Virtual Library Programming and Services – Resources and Examples on WebJunction's Libraries and the Coronavirus: Evolving Information and Resources
- Dakota County Library's Facebook Playlists, including
- Virtual Storytimes Join us to connect with your friendly librarians for a fun 30-minute storytime with books, rhymes and songs to support early literacy and reading readiness. Children ages 3 and older with their families are welcome. Facebook Live virtual event Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 9:30–9:50 a.m. March 20–June 29.
- Sunday Read Alouds These videos feature a read aloud of lengthier picture books that appeal to all ages, one book per video.
- Tips for You and Your Baby Learn fun tips and strategies to sing, play, talk, read, and write with your little one ages 0 to 24 months. For parents and caregivers.
- Baba the Storyteller Stories from West Africa with Baba the Storyteller.
- All About Autism Virtual Storytime
- Virtual Storywalk: One Day in the Eucalyptus Eucalyptus Tree
- Virtual Storywalk in Spanish: Recorrido de Cuento Virtual en el Parque en Español
- Jbrary, a library of storytime resources
- Laurie Berkner, Miss Nina, and Jim Gill on YouTube
- School Library Journal COVID-19 Publisher Directory
- Copyright Considerations from ALSC
- Every Child Ready to Read @ Your Library
- Virtual Storytime and Circle Time: 15 Tips To Make a Dynamic Video, School Library Journal
- Ukulele Storytime YouTube Channel
- Dakota County Library virtual programs survey for patrons
- NEW! ALSC Virtual Storytime Services Guide
- More links shared in chat
- Storytime Underground, and on Facebook
- Windows and Mirrors and Sliding Glass Doors: Ensuring Students See Themselves and Others in Literature
- Google list of Extended Publisher Permissions
- Virtual Storytime Permission Information, created by and for Muskegon Area District Library
- Supercharged Storytimes, a free self-paced course on WebJunction for library practitioners
- Chili Chapters with Miss Valerie on YouTube, Chili Public Library
16 June 2020
2:00 PM – 3:45 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Renee Grassi
18 May 2021
03 June 2021
09 June 2021
08 July 2021
05 August 2021