The Accidental Facilities Manager
This webinar explores library building systems and issues for the accidental facilities manager.
This event has passed.
Now more than ever, the care and feeding of library buildings, from historic to new, demands greater attention. With occupant health and safety in mind, common issues, such as cleaning, plumbing, or HVAC systems, take on new urgency. Many library directors and staff become facilities managers by default, with no formal training. This webinar offers a primer on building systems and issues, along with tools for preventive maintenance, energy assessments, optimizing ventilation and filtration, and more. Presenters share what they learned the hard way, in large and small libraries, so that you can be more prepared and self-assured.
Presented by: Lauren Stara, Library Building Specialist, Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners and Andrea Bunker, Library Building Specialist, Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Facilities Inventory and Preventative Maintenance Checklist (xls)
- Facilities Repair and Maintenance Log (xls)
- Facilities Utility Tracker (xls)
- Lauren and Andrea's podcast, Building Literacy: Public Library Construction
- Building Science 101: a Primer for Librarians (ALA Editions, 2010) by Lynn M. Piotrowicz and Scott Osgood
- Checklist of Library Building Design Considerations, Sixth Edition (ALA Editions, 2016) byt William W. Sannwald
- The Practical Handbook of Library Architecture: Creating Building Spaces that Work (ALA Editions, 2018) by Fred Schlip and John A. Moorman
- Beyond Access: Modernizing Your Library’s Space, WebJunction
- Customer Service Walkabout Checklist (pdf) by Joan Frye Williams
- ADA National Network
- HVAC for Libraries during COVID-19, Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
- Disaster Preparedness Resources
- ALA LibGuide, Library Disaster Preparedness & Response
- Disaster Planning Template document from the Indiana State Library
- Librarian’s Disaster Planning and Community Resiliency Workbook from the New Jersey State Library
10 November 2020
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time, North America [UTC -5]
Webinar presenter Lauren Stara
Webinar presenter Andrea Bunker