Purposeful Innovation: Idea Management for Libraries
In this webinar, learn the what, why, and how of idea management, and hear examples and lessons learned from Sno-Isle Libraries.
This event has passed.
Sooner or later, all libraries need to realign or reinvent services and workflows to respond to shifting community needs, but there’s often a disconnect between ideas generated by staff on the front lines and the decisions made by management. Imagine a library where all staff feel empowered to submit, vote and comment on service and workflow ideas. To reach this ideal, Sno-Isle Libraries (WA) has embraced the idea management process in order to consider and approve ideas holistically, for cost, benefit and time, and before a heavy investment of resources. Sno-Isle Libraries realized that building a collaborative, transparent framework to support workflows, change, ideas and community engagement is essential to creating a culture of purposeful innovation. During this webinar, you’ll gain a clear understanding of the "what" and "why" of idea management, hear lessons learned, and leave with tools to empower staff to lead from any position by sharing their ideas.
Presented by: Christa Werle, Public Services Project Manager, Sno-Isle Libraries, Washington
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View Slides (pdf)
- View Chat (xls)
- View Captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- Idea Management Process Map (pdf)
- Sno-Isle Libraries In Service Day Agenda - 2015 (pdf)
- Selected as a 2014 Innovation by Urban Libraries Council, Purposeful Innovation Through Idea Management
- Brandel, Mary. "How to Wrangle Innovation. (Cover Story)." Computerworld 47.10 (2013): 16-22. Academic Search Premier. Web. 9 Mar. 2015.
- Lamont, Judith. "Idea Management: Everyone's An Innovator." KM World 13.10 (2004): 14-26. Academic Search Premier. Web. 9 Mar. 2015.
- Huwe, Terence K. "Creating the Conditions for Innovation." Computers in Libraries 34.6 (2014): 16-18. Academic Search Premier. Web. 9 Mar. 2015.
- Satell, Greg. “How to Manage Innovation.” Opinion. Forbes, 7 March, 2013. Web. 9 Mar. 2015. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/2013/03/07/how-to-manage-innovation-2/
- Mackinnon, Lauchlan. “How to Choose an Idea Management System: Follow The ‘Why-What-What-Which”. Idea Management. Idea Management Systems, 20 October, 2010. Web. 9 Mar. 2015. www.ideamanagementsystems.com/2010/10/how-to-choose-idea-management-system.html
- Deschampes, Jean-Phillipe. “9 Different Models in Use for Innovation Governance”. Innovation solutions. Innovation Management, 8 May, 2013. Web. 9 Mar. 2015. http://www.innovationmanagement.se/2013/05/08/9-different-models-in-use-for-innovation-governance/
- Matthews, Brian. Think Like a Startup: A white paper to inspire library entrepreneurialism. VirginiaTech, 2012. Web. 9 Mar. 2015. https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/18649
- BKLYN Incubator Project:
- Heather Braum & Creating a Culture of Innovation in Your Library & Community: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/Creating_a_Culture_of_Innovation.html
- What it Takes to Innovate Infographic: http://www.insideoutdev.com/newsletter/04-2015/#infographic
- Shared in Chat:
- WebJunction webinar on Community Led Libraries
15 March 2016
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
27 April 2021
04 May 2021
18 May 2021