Measures that Matter Part Two: Detailing the Data-based Story of Public Libraries
Part two in a three-part webinar series about Measures that Matter, a project from IMLS and COSLA, surveying the current state of public library data, assessing current strengths and weaknesses and formulating a plan for future action.
This event has passed.
In the United States, there are a number of national surveys of public libraries and their patrons. While all of these efforts help us tell a data-based story of public libraries, they differ in terms of their samples, what types of data they collect, and how their data are collected, stored, and accessed. During the first webinar in this three-part series, we scanned the landscape of major public library surveys and considered how library data could be used more productively in the future. In this second webinar, we will drill deeper into the concepts of sampling, data types, and data management, and how they impact what we know about public libraries and their patrons. At the end of this webinar, participants will have a greater understanding of various sampling methods, recognize the differences between inputs, outputs, and outcomes, and be aware of the data management practices for various national public library surveys.
This webinar is the second in a three-part series about the Institute of Museum and Library Services’ and the Chief Officers of State Library Agencies’ Measures that Matter initiative, a field-wide discussion of the current state of public library data.
Presented by: Rebecca Teasdale, Senior Evaluation and Research Associate, Garibay Group; John Bertot, Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs and Professor, College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland; Linda Hofschire, Director, Library Research Service, Colorado State Library
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- More information on Measures that Matter
- Press Release, 10/7/16
- IMLS, COSLA Launch “Measures That Matter” Library Journal, 11/2/16
- MtM National Logic Model (pdf)
- Part 1 in this webinar series, Measures that Matter: A View into the Current Public Library Data Landscape
- Part 3, Measures that Matter Part Three: Detailing the Data-based Story of Public Libraries
- Upcoming ALA Annual Presentation
- Email distribution list to stay informed
- on Twitter
- Landscape of Major US Public Library Data Collection Efforts
- Recording of September 20 Data Summit
- Resources on sampling methods:
- Resources on data types:
- Inputs, Outputs, and Outcomes – Oh My!, by Karen Pundsack, Public Libraries
- Outcomes, Impacts, and Indicators, by Samantha Becker, Library Journal
- Count Your Impact: Getting Started with Outcome-Based Evaluation, a Colorado State Library webinar with Linda Hofschire
- Resource on data management:
- Current national data collection efforts:
13 June 2017
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter Rebecca Teasdale
Webinar presenter John Bertot
Webinar presenter Linda Hofschire
19 October 2022
27 October 2022
15 November 2022
07 December 2022