Getting Unstuck: Help Your Board, Staff, and Town Talk about Library Funding
A webinar hosted in collaboration with ARSL and EveryLibrary to grow skills for talking about library budgets with staff, boards, and other stakeholders in your community and to secure funding.
This event has passed.
Library leaders have been trained to "do more with less" for so long that it’s become a virtue. Though talking about budgets is a challenge, library staff need better funding to provide the public with needed services and expertise. If your budget is stuck, and your board, staff and stakeholders are having a hard time talking about new taxes or levies, this webinar can help. Please join us for real-world, practical, actionable advice on how to overcome local political problems, negative feelings, and unmotivated stakeholders, to move your library toward a more financially secure future.
This webinar is hosted in collaboration with the Association for Rural and Small Libraries and EveryLibrary.
Presented by: John Chrastka, Executive Director, EveryLibrary; Lee Hallberg, Executive Director, Mancos Public Library, CO; and James Ochsner, Director of Library Services, Sutter County Library, CA
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to login to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
Related Resources and Links
- Association for Rural & Small Libraries
- action.everylibrary.org including Training Guides
- Build Your Political Literacy Skills for Advocacy, 2017 webinar
- From Awareness to Funding, OCLC, ALA and PLA (2018)
- Libraries 2016, Pew Research Center
- From Awareness to Funding (2008), OCLC
- Aspen Institute: Rising to the Challenge and Action Guide for Re-Envisioning Libraries
22 August 2018
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
Webinar presenter John Chrastka
Webinar presenter Lee Hallberg
Webinar presenter James Ochsner
06 June 2023
Promoting Voter and Civic Engagement at Your Library
29 June 2023
Low Morale in Libraries: Impacts and Countermeasures
13 July 2023
Designing for Diversity in Your Library’s Communications
18 July 2023
16 August 2023
Climate Action Planning (Part 1): An Introduction
26 September 2023
Climate Action Planning (Part 2): Disaster Preparedness and Community Resilience
03 October 2023
28 November 2023
Living Our Values Out Loud: Programs that Walk the Talk
13 December 2023