Libraries Lead the Workforce for the 21st Century
A webinar recording created from sessions presented in the Summer of 2011 as part of the IMLS-funded Project Compass, a national initiative to support public libraries' services to the struggling workforce.
This event has passed.
In communities all around the country, people have felt the impact of a weak economy and they are still turning to libraries with a variety of needs. While libraries have vigorously responded to many immediate needs and the economy is starting to improve, the library has a continued and vital role to play to move their communities from recovery to growth, from surviving to thriving.
This webinar will build your knowledge and confidence to deliver programs and services that will keep the workforce in your community moving forward in the 21st century. It covers core responses to the basic needs of patrons impacted by the weak economy and specific responses to job seekers. The session also explores the variety of ways in which your library can support entrepreneurs and local small business in your community and how you can help your patrons strengthen their personal financial skills.
This webinar archive was created from sessions presented in the Summer of 2011 as part of the IMLS-funded Project Compass, a national initiative to support public libraries' services to the struggling workforce.
Presented by: Betha Gutsche, Christine Hamilton-Pennell, and Holly Fulghum-Nutters
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- IMLS 21st C Skills Initiative and Project Report (PDF)
- Pathways: Pathway for Small Business and Entrepreneurs and Personal Financial Skills
- 25 Ways Your Library Can Support the Small Business Community
- Dane Stangler, The Coming Entrepreneurial Boom, Kauffman Foundation, 2009; Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity: 1996-2009
- YourEconomy.org from the Edward Lowe Foundation.
- South San Francisco Public Library's Project Read on Facebook Project Read of North San Mateo County
- Find pro-bono financial planners http://www.foundation-finplan.org/volunteer/fpa-pro-bono
- Individual Development Accounts cfed.org/programs/idas/
- Money Smart, FDIC http://fdic.gov/consumers
- Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas free resources for financial management, including Building Wealth
- Partnership for 21st Century Skills
- Shift Happens video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY
- Thank you to Caitlin for sharing this link in chat to her library's resources at Kalamazoo Public Library
12 July 2011
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]