Shift Messaging for More Impact
Communicate that your awareness campaign is about the value of the library and the funding challenges many libraries face.
Not only does the library support what everyone is passionate about (or geeks), it provides immense value for personal growth and the well-being of the community. For example, the library provides important resources and programs—sometimes it’s the only place that provides these resources—to help people find jobs, access government forms and information, reeducate themselves, start small businesses, etc.
If your budget allows, we recommend a new round of print advertising using the six funding-focused messages when you are in the "encourage action" phase of your campaign. Each message focuses on an area in which the library provides value for the community and includes a stronger—and more personal—call to action. Use this language included in your ads (or social media) as you talk about funding in your community.
I am / we are passionate (or geek) our community
- Public libraries are a gift. Support your public library.
- Libraries put dollars back into the community by helping small businesses and local organizations, getting people back to work, and providing vital resources for everyone in good times and in bad.
- Libraries are a sound investment. What they do has a direct—and positive—effect on individuals, and on the well-being of the surrounding community. Make sure libraries have the funding they need to help individuals and communities thrive.
I am / we are passionate about (or geek) green
- Public libraries are a green alternative. Support your public library.
- Borrow versus buying. Spend all the time you want discovering new hobbies, finding a job or starting a new business. You can also gather resources about other ways to help the environment and making green choices—all for free and with less negative environmental impact.
- Make sure libraries have the funding they need to maintain and enhance services that support a greener lifestyle.
I am / we are passionate about (or geek) my / our future (s)
- Public libraries inspire success. Support your public library.
- Public libraries provide access to a wide range of information and resources that present new educational options, alternative ideas and, most importantly, hope. For many, the public library is a key element of realizing their ambitions—whether it is researching a new career or filling out an online job application.
- Make sure libraries have the funding they need to maintain and enhance services that help everyone achieve their potential.
I am / we are passionate (or geek) my / our job(s)
- Public libraries get people back to work. Support your public library.
- Public libraries have helped people reeducate themselves, find jobs and transform their lives for decades, but their role has never been more critical.
- With high unemployment and many people cutting back on expenses, this critical resource is often the only viable option for active job seekers.
- Make sure libraries have the funding they need to maintain and enhance free services that help people find jobs and improve their lives.
I am / we are passionate (or geek) new ventures
- Public libraries champion small businesses. Support your public library.
- New business ideas are born, researched and turned into reality every day at the public library. Access to free information and resources eliminates many barriers to innovation, and provides the tools to be inspired and take action.
- Make sure libraries have the funding they need to maintain and enhance services that give everyone the tools they need to be successful.
I am / we are passionate (or geek) transformation
- Librarians are superheroes. Support your public library.
- Librarians help people find new opportunities, reeducate themselves, realize their dreams and transform their lives—every day.
- Right now someone has found and applied for a job with the help of a librarian, someone has started a small business with support from a librarian, and someone has changed paths in life as a result of something they learned from a librarian.
- Make sure librarians have the funding they need to maintain and enhance services that help people find and explore new opportunities.