In this week’s edition of our Social Library series we’re showcasing libraries who are using videos in innovative ways for programming and outreach, and others who are raising funds for their libraries, while promoting healthy living through exercise. Thanks to the staff at these libraries for sharing their great work and reaching their communities on Facebook, and for providing inspiration to the WebJunction community.
- Sno-Isle Libraries, serving Snohomish and Island Counties in Washington, posted a new Vlog Squad video by one of their teens. Andrew does a great job reviewing You and Me and Him, a book by Kris Dinnison. As mother of two teens, I can tell you that you'll certainly reach more of your millennial patrons if you familiarize yourself with the world of vlogging!
- Winter Park Public Library in Florida is onboard with the world of YouTube! They are hosting a YouTube Concert Series during the month of August, inviting the community to "drop in and watch career defining concerts from some of pop and rock's legends on our big screen in the Community Room." The Series will feature concerts by Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Pressley, Linda Ronstadt, and Michael Jackson. Perhaps this could be followed up with a karaoke event!
- And one more of this week's libraries, the Dakota County Library in Minnesota, is leveraging video popularity to share book reviews. Each month, library staff from around the system share a collection of book reviews, with a small video inset of the reviewer overlaying each of the book covers. Here are their picks and reviews for August and for July.
- The Friends of the Shelter Island Public Library in New York hosted their second annual Volleyball Tournament this past weekend. Details about the event are shared in a local paper, and photos were posted on Facebook.
- And the Arlington Public Library in Texas is gearing up for the Book It For Literacy 5K/1 Mile Fun Run. This annual event helps build awareness and raise money for the library's literacy programs. Arlington Reads provides adult, family, and youth literacy services for Arlington residents.
We look forward to seeking out next week's treasures from those we follow on Facebook AND to hear from more of YOU! If you have innovative and impactful programs going on at your library that you'd like to showcase, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org, or find us on Facebook.
Thanks to all of this week's featured libraries for such outstanding service to your communities!