The Social Library, Volume 12
With Volume 12 of the Social Library, we see examples of libraries directly impacting the everyday yet critical needs of community members. From economic development to healthy snacks, and civic duty to aging drivers, here are some examples of the the great work happening in libraries we follow on Facebook.
- The Broward County Library in Florida just installed a kiosk in the jury break room of the Broward County Courthouse. Those reporting for jury duty can now visit the kiosk to easily browse and download free eBooks and audiobooks with their Broward County Library cards!
- The Louisville Public Library in Ohio hosted a teen workshop on Finding a Summer Job. We also heard about ways to support job seekers in our WebJunction webinar last week, and this great selection of Job Tips for Teens on the WorkSC site.
- The Roy R. Estle Memorial Library in Dallas Center, Iowa partnered with the Dallas County Extension office on Healthy Snacks for Kids. The program included blind taste testing and yummy samples.
- The Braswell Memorial Library in Rocky Mount, North Carolina hosted a very important event, the We Need to Talk Seminar, designed for people who need to talk with loved ones when it may be time to limit or stop their driving. The seminar identified ways to begin the conversation as well as how to develop a plan for alternate modes of transport.
- The Rio Grande City Public Library in Texas has been recognized for supporting workforce development (see 2012 WebJunction article) and as we see from the wonderful coverage of the recent seminar, Financing Options for Small Business, they continue to support economic development in this small community near the Mexican/US border.
We look forward to seeking out next week's treasures from those we follow on Facebook. If you have innovative and impactful programs going on at your library that you'd like to showcase, let us know at email@example.com, or find us on Facebook.
Thanks to all of this week's featured libraries for such outstanding service to your communities!