The Social Library, Volume 10
We're excited to be publishing Volume 10 of the Social Library, our weekly feature highlighting the great work of those libraries we follow on Facebook.
With definite signs of Spring and of Earth Day/Week, our Facebook feed lit up with colorful flowers, gardens, and healthy living.
- The Buffalo Creek Memorial Library in Man, West Virginia (service population 700) hosted the 9th Annual Man on the Move Walk this past Saturday, and even though it rained, there were over 80 participants. Other activities included health checks and distribution of medication disposal kits. And it looks like they're hosting a Kid's Fun and Fitness Day in a few weeks!
- The Lonoke Lions Club and other volunteers turned out to build a Children's Learning Garden for the Marjorie Walker McCrary Memorial Library, in Lonoke, Arkansas.
- The New River Public Library in Zephyrhills, Florida, started a Community Garden last fall. This past week a few local Girl Scout Troops planted their plot.
- Two San Diego area libraries brought some lovely color to our Facebook feed. The Del Mar branch of the San Diego County Library is hosting Rose Weekend with the Del Mar Rose Society with roses on display, winners announced, and a concert. And the La Jolla/Riford Branch Library of the San Diego Public Library shared a lovely photo of one of the arrangements provided by the La Jolla Garden Club.
- The Carnegie Public Library of Steuben County in Angola, Indiana, held their Tribute to Spring event this past weekend, which included a chainsaw woodcarver who beautified the unfortunate dead tree in the front of the library! There were other local trades people there selling spring bulbs and perennials, coffees, honey, soaps, lip balms, lotions, garden art, hanging flowers, preserves, vegetable plants,
We look forward to seeking out next week's treasures from those we follow on Facebook. If you have innovative and impactful programs going on at your library that you'd like to showcase, let us know at email@example.com, or find us on Facebook.
Thanks to all of this week's featured libraries for such outstanding service to your communities!