The Social Library, Volume 7
We begin April with the seventh installment of the Social Library, our weekly feature highlighting the great work of those organizations we follow on Facebook.
This month brings a number of celebrations including National Poetry Month and National Library Week (April 12-18). We found libraries highlighting these and other exciting events on their Facebook pages this week.
- The Exeter Branch of the Tulare County Library in California is inviting the community to post a poem, created from magazine cut-outs, to the Poet-Tree during National Poetry Month. And the L.H. Bluford Library in Kansas City, Missouri is also celebrating with daily video readings by Bernard Norcott-Mahany.
- The Prince William County Public Library System in Virginia is preparing to launch A Thousand Books before Kindergarten, aimed at getting children ready for school. Be sure to watch the excellent video introduction with Nancy Schleh, the children’s librarian at Bull Run Regional Library.
- The Bristol Public Library at the Adult Learning Lab in Bristol, Tennessee and Virgina, shares patron success stories on their Facebook page. With a photo of the patron, they congratulate folks on new jobs or degrees obtained, recognizing the ways in which the library's learning lab has supported them in these accomplishments.
- The Somers Library in New York is hosting an event as part of Earth Week with partners, Energize Somers, for the public to meet with an Energy Coach to learn how to reduce their carbon footprint. The library also lend to patrons the Kill-A-Watt tool to assess the efficiency of their home appliances.
- The Pine River Library in Bayfield Colorado invites community members to stop by the library anytime during the month of April to pick up a free science kit. "Each kit includes supplies for a fun science experiment to do with your kids, teens, or fun-loving adults." Ongoing, they also celebrate Zap! Science Days with a science-focused Storytime, the first Thursday of each month. Miss Liz, the children's services coordinator provides a video demonstration to accompany the free science kits.
- And because I'm a big Game of Thrones fan, a bonus selection from the San Antonio Public Library, for their upcoming Feast of Thrones Party to celebrate the start of Season 5.
We look forward to seeking out next week's treasures from those we follow on Facebook. If you have innovative and impactful programs going on at your library that you'd like to showcase, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org, or find us on Facebook.
Thanks to all of this week's featured libraries and organizations for such outstanding service to your communities!