The Social Library, Volume 8
Welcome to Volume 8 of the Social Library, our weekly feature highlighting the great work of those organizations we follow on Facebook.
This week surfaced a range of events and services that highlight the outstanding partnerships that libraries leverage in order to better to engage with their communities. Here are some ideas sure to inspire:
- The Chestertown Branch of the Kent County Public Library in Maryland is hosting an event next week, The Short of It, led by members of three local writing groups who have challenged themselves to take the concept of "short story" down to 250 words. The evening will include a fast-paced presentation with writers sharing their flash stories as well as a Q&A about the writing process.
- The Rockmart Public Library in Georgia is launching their Adult Reading Challenge next week, Riddle Me This Scavenger Hunt. Patrons are to decipher riddles to find Superheroes hidden around Rockmart. The six week challenge includes a new riddle and hidden superhero each week, with a Grand Prize Drawing for those who find all six heroes. What an excellent way to engage adults in the community and to partner with businesses and organizations who host the hidden superheroes!
- The Eddy-New Rockford Library in North Dakota is one of the many libraries who are celebrating National Library Week. They're inviting the community to an event next week to see and celebrate what the library has to offer and patrons will be invited to pose for a 'Shelfie' (a selfie with books). The pictures will be shared via their Facebook page in conjunction with SnapshotND! 2015, one day in the life of North Dakota libraries.
- The Burlington County Library System in New Jersey is demonstrating exemplary partnership engagement with co-sponsors, the Volunteer Center of Burlington, for their upcoming Youth Volunteer Opportunities Fair. Representatives from various organizations will be present to inform teens and parents/guardians of available summer and year-round youth volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups.
- The Vernon Area Public Library in Illinois offers Book Club in a Bag to community members. "Book Club in a Bag includes multiple copies of a popular book, information about the author, and copies of discussion questions, all packaged in a sturdy zipper bag for you to carry. Each kit may be checked out for 8 weeks."
We look forward to seeking out next week's treasures from those we follow on Facebook. If you have innovative and impactful programs going on at your library that you'd like to showcase, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org, or find us on Facebook.
Thanks to all of this week's featured libraries and organizations for such outstanding service to your communities!