Social Library, Volume 94
Up next in our Social Library series we're highlighting a few of the libraries we're new to follow on Facebook. They're sharing innovative programming, including a movie at LEGO Club and tapping into the escape room craze. They're highlighting a display for National Depression Awareness Month, engaging patrons with a trivia contest, and hosting a home maintenance workshop. If you'd like to see your library featured in a Social Library edition, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on Facebook.
- Ravenna Public Library in Nebraska hosts a weekly LEGO Club on Tuesday afternoon, and last week they featured the LEGO Batman movie on the big screen, so young patrons could build with a movie! With popcorn, blocks and movie, in the photo above, you can almost hear it!
- Teen Central at Hedberg Public Library and Hedberg Public Library in Wisconsin are hosting the After Hours Escape Room for high school students and adults. "Find out if you have what it takes to save the world from a zombie apocalypse! Teams of five will enter the escape room at a specified time and have 15 minutes to decipher the clues and locate the airborne “zombie virus” before it’s released. The fastest teams win a prize! Munch on snacks and have fun playing other suspenseful games between turns."
- Davenport Public Library in Iowa shared photos of their special National Depression Awareness Month display to help shed a light on depression & anxiety. The post includes mention of the Light Therapy Lamp available for checkout, and a link to some information from Mayo Clinic on light therapy.
- Garland Public Library in Utah recently began posting a Trivia Tuesday question each week to engage with patrons on Facebook. Last week's question was: "How many books are in our Juvenile Fiction Collection?" Patrons are invited to comment with their guesses to the trivia question for a chance to win. The winner each week is awarded a free book and featured in a Facebook post. (Their Juvenile Collection current has 2,486 titles, BTW!)
- We noted that Appleton Public Library in Wisconsin shared info on their Home Maintenance Workshop. Most households have the need for home maintenance and we're sure nearly every community has a home maintenance expert that would be willing to donate their time to a program like this. "Learn problem solving and small project skills to help you maintain your home."