Social Library, Library Card Sign-up Month Edition
We're pleased to present this special September edition of our Social Library series highlighting Library Card Sign-up Month. In its 30th year, this month-long celebration provides the opportunity for libraries to promote the benefits of having a library card and the many ways to use the library. Thank you to all these libraries for sharing their photos, videos and posts in celebration of #LibraryCardSignup month! If you'd like to see your library featured in a Social Library edition, please let us know via email@example.com or find us on Facebook.
- Beaverton City Library in Oregon posted the wonderful photo of library card-carrying Boy Scouts in celebration of Library Card Sign-up Month. We love the simplicity of posting photos of patrons proudly displaying their library cards!
- Some libraries have created contests to engage folks as part of this month's celebration. Crystal Lake Public Library in Illinois shares, "Anyone who gets a card, renews a card, or simply uses a library card in the month of September can enter a drawing for a chance to win gift certificates!" And Juniata County Library in Pennsylvania will enter patrons into a prize drawing if they share a photo of themselves with their library card along with something about what the library means to them.
- Many libraries are using videos to promote Library Card Sign-up Month. In New Jersey, Ocean County Library's video features a number of patrons responding to "What's your favorite thing about your library card?" And the Orange County Library System (FL) features a one-minute video with a local radio host talking about what the library means to him and to the community. And the Wickliffe Public Library in Ohio shares the wonderful video created by OverDrive to highlight the power of a library card.
- Iowa City Public Library shared a post about the month's celebration. We learned that this year marks the 30th anniversary of Library Card Sign-up month, and in a blog post by Kara, we discover that through the library's Ride and Read program, card-holders can request two free bus passes per week for a free ride home from the library. And for Bookmobile visitors there's extra incentive to get a library card—to be entered into a free drawing for a $25 gasoline gift card.
- And Westbury Children's Library in New York shared a photo of the "Wall of Readers" bulletin board where they're collecting names of young card holders!