This edition of the Social Library features libraries who are partnering in various ways to provide programs and incentives to patrons. We see many of the partnerships clearly represented in the Facebook posts, including a state-wide reading challenge, a children's dental health program and storytimes in unlikely locations. And for others, we're guessing that libraries have connected with local vendors for in-kind contributions in the form of ice cream or backpacks filled with school supplies. We hope these examples inspire you to seek out local and state partnerships. And if you'd like to see your library featured in the Social Library series, please let us know via email@example.com or find us on Facebook.
- Naperville Public Library in Illinois hosted the Fifth Annual Ice Cream Taste-Off for their teens. Recent photos on Facebook of the well-attended event indicate that each teen was provided with a ballot to sample and judge store-brand versus name-brand ice cream of three different varieties. You can't go wrong with ice cream!
- Bloomfield Public Library in New Jersey partnered with United Way for last week's Dental Program. Children ages 2 to 6 were invited to the program where Dr. Kathleen Gilmore, pediatric dentist, was there to educate children about proper dental care. Check out some photos of the event, where children also received a free book and a dental kit. Dental health is an important part of growing up and your local dentist makes for a perfect programming partner!
- Stanton Public Library in Nebraska is encouraging their library patrons to take the Nebraska 150 Reading Challenge! The goal of the Nebraska 150 Reading Challenge is to draw attention to the best literature produced from Nebraska and to highlight the varied cultures, historical time periods and locations that are featured in the selected books. The reading challenge is being hosted in conjunction with the upcoming Nebraska 150 Celebration which will commemorate Nebraska's Sesquicentennial. The booklist includes fiction, non-fiction, young adult and picture books, as well as poetry. The Challenge will award prizes in three categories:
Grand Prize: Qualifiers read all 42 Books from this list
Gold Prizes: Qualifiers must read 12 Books from this list
Silver Prizes: Qualifiers must read six Books from this list
- North Manchester Public Library in Indiana has invited entries for their Backpack Sweepstakes. They'll be drawing names for two lucky winners who will receive a Jansport SuperBreak backpack filled with school supplies. "To participate, visit the library during the last week of July (25-30) and enter your name at the Children's desk. You may put in one entry a day. We'll draw winners August 1st. Good luck!"
- And two other libraries caught our eye this week for their unique storytime partnerships. Avon Grove Library in Pennsylvania hosts storytimes throughout the summer at a number of different sites in the community, including the Dansko Shoe Outlet, where employees volunteer each week to read stories and make crafts with children and their caregivers. And the Newport News Public Library System in Virginia hosted a storytime at the local Whole Foods Market, complete with snacks! Where, besides the library, could you be hosting storytimes?
Thanks to all of this week's featured libraries for such outstanding service to your communities!