In this special Holiday Edition of our Social Library series, we’re highlighting programming and marketing examples from libraries we follow on Facebook. From a 12 Days of Library Giveaways contest to an Ugly Sweater Craft Night, and from Holiday Pet Photos to Pajama Giveaways, these libraries are bringing the holiday spirit to life. If you'd like to see your library featured in an upcoming edition, please let us know via email@example.com or find us on Facebook.
- Calgary Public Library in Canada hosted 12 Days of Library Giveaways on Facebook earlier this month. "It’s the new Central Library’s first holiday season, and to celebrate, we’ve partnered with Calgary Parking Authority to give away free downtown parking to 12 lucky patrons from December 1 to 12. Come visit us at your Library and park for free with $50 of ParkPlus mobile app credits. All you have to do is follow the Library on social media and keep an eye out for our contest posts for a chance to win. Whether we ask you to answer a question, share our post, or tag a friend, each day offers a new way to win — and a new winner crowned!" Check out all the clever ways they engaged with their community throughout the twelve days. And now, sing along to the full song, from the post on day 12: "On the twelfth day of Christmas, the Library gives to thee: 12,000 sq ft for children, eleven art installations, ten TD Great Reading Room exhibits, 900 people meeting, eight steps for sitting, seven quiet pods, six catalogue stations, five levels of Library Express, four floors of books, three TRIO birds, two Lukes Central Library cafés and free parking from Calgary Parking Authority!"
- Marshall County Memorial Library in Tennessee is hosting an Ugly Sweater Craft Night. "Bring your own sweater, sweatshirt or t-shirt. We provide all the rest to create the ugly sweater of your dreams. There will be a prize for best creation by 12 and under and by 13+. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult due to use of hot glue guns." Be sure to check back for photos!
- Cutchogue New Suffolk Free Library in New York got in the spirit with Holiday Pet Photos at the Library, with special thanks to Santa and community partners, Puparazzi Pet Photos. Also check out the wonderful photos from their Inter-generational Holiday Craft event.
- Cook Memorial Library and Madison Library in New Hampshire are teaming up with White Mountain Community Health Center and Kennett High School’s Health Occupation Student Association to offer Story Times Book and Pajama Giveaways for children at area libraries throughout December. "At each story time, members of Kennett’s Health Occupation Student Association will read aloud picture books, and Community Health Worker Soyla Hernandez and Social Worker Cheryl Frankowski will offer free pajamas for children sized preemie through size 14. Free hot chocolate donated by Dunkin Donuts will be served at the Madison event. Families with children in need of warm winter pajamas are encouraged to attend."
- Chesterfield County Public Library, in Virginia shared a post highlighting the clever ad published in the local paper, the Chesterfield Observer. The ad announces Holiday Savings at Your Public Library with promises of "Everything in Stock is Free," "100% OFF," "For an unlimited time only!" and "FREE RETURNS!"