Social Library, Piano Edition
With another special edition of our Social Library series, we bring you five libraries who have recently used Facebook to highlight programs and services related to…pianos! From a banana piano to free lessons, and from painted pianos to a circulating piano, these examples are sure to provide inspiration. Whether your library has a grand piano or a banana piano, consider the ways you can engage with your community on piano programs, with everyone from beginners to accomplished pianists! If you'd like to see your library featured in an upcoming edition, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on Facebook.
- Dade County Public Library in Georgia hosted a Children's Day which included bubbles, a corn sensory bin, and a Makey Makey Banana Piano (pictured above). They also included in the post, "Don't forget, our Makey Makey is available for use in the library! Just ask the front desk and we'll be happy to get it for you."
- Arlington Heights Memorial Library in Illinois shared multiple posts about their amazing Piano Project. Six pianos were donated and decorated by local artists, in recognition of the musical elements in the library's One Book, One Village title, Every Note Played by Lisa Genova. The pianos were placed in community locations around Arlington Heights and the library invited residents to enjoy and take part in the public outdoor art display throughout the fall. A hashtag #ahmlpianoproject surfaces multiple posts with photos and videos of artists, and those who donated the pianos to the project. "The library celebrated the installation of these pianos at a ribbon cutting event on Thursday, September 13, with Arlington Heights Mayor Thomas Hayes, library trustees, piano artists, donors and sponsors." The project was highlighted in a Chicago Tribune article where the library shared that after putting out a call for donated pianos, they received 30 offers in just three days! The pianos have moved inside for the month and the library is in the process of assessing each piano before they determine their next life.
- Hartford Public Library in Connecticut provides Free piano lessons on the Hartford Public Library grand piano! Taught by some of Hartford's greatest pianists, all levels are welcome for these 30-minute lessons.
- Ripon Public Library in Wisconsin introduced their new Digital Piano. "Known for 'More Than Books', the library expands its resources and repertoire with the joy of music! The library is pleased to announce the addition of a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-675 to its selection of unique resources for library patrons. The piano is available, by reservation, for library sponsored events and for free public use, including practice, programs and recitals offered at no cost. Funding from the fall 2017 Giving Tuesday campaign, plus individual donors Elizabeth Olson and Mandy and John Hughes, made the purchase possible."
- Collingwood Public Library in Canada inaugurated their new baby grand piano at the program, A Little Lunch Music, with Mila Filatova on piano, joined by Dr. Milan Somborac and Susan Connolly on violins. Next month they'll celebrate the music of Gilbert and Sullivan.