Transforming Library Space for Community Engagement
A webinar rethinking how library spaces can be configured to enhance and expand community engagement in the digital age.
This event has passed.
As libraries expand their focus from collections to creation, physical spaces are being transformed in ways that enhance community engagement in the digital age. Rethink how your library’s space might be configured to better enable your patrons to interact with technology and with each other. While future-facing libraries are pushing boundaries, the public still perceives libraries as being primarily about books. Learn how some key alterations to existing library space can refresh public perceptions. We’ll look at a variety of projects, ranging from larger room renovations to smaller libraries who redefined space on a modest scale, yet still had a strong impact on the community.
Panelists: Betha Gutsche, Program Manager, WebJunction; Beth Farley, Head of Information and Reader Services, Bellingham (WA) Public Library; and Eileen Shaw, Everson Branch Manager, Whatcom County (WA) Library System.
- View Webinar Recording (You will be prompted to log in to our free Course Catalog.)
- View slides (pdf)
- View chat (xls)
- View captions (txt)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning.
- WebJunction's Space Planning section
- Guide: Transforming Library Spaces for Community Engagement
- OCLC Library Perceptions 2010 report: http://oclc.org/reports/2010perceptions.en.html
- BiblioTech bookless library: http://bexarbibliotech.org/
- Idea Box at Oak Park Public Library: http://oppl.org/events/idea-box
- I Street Press at Sacramento Public Library: http://www.saclibrary.org/services/i-street-press/
- FabLab at Fayetteville Free Library (NY): http://fflib.org/fablab
- Makerspace at Westport Public Library (CT): http://www.westportlibrary.org/
- Flexible Spaces – Flexible Futures webinar: http://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/flexible-spaces-flexible-futures.html
- The Choice Overload Problem: https://www.ted.com/talks/sheena_iyengar_choosing_what_to_choose
- The Future is Now: Rural Library as Incubator: http://webjunction.org/events/webjunction/Future_is_Now.html
22 May 2014
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
05 December 2019
14 January 2020